Fly Tying

Another day, and a couple more reds!  After years of heading down to corpus with horrible luck, finally I think I have figured out these reds.  The last 3 trips Ive caught redfish, and this trip was one of the best Ive ever had.  The weather was horrible, with rain, heavy wind, and the cold made me wish I was at home by a fire.  However, all of that was worth it because the redfish were on fire!   

Now I went down, and fished 3 separate days.  This video is on the first two days fishing.  I fished alone the first day, and was able to fish with Johnny for a few hours on the 2nd day.  The wind was very bad though on the 2nd day, which made it difficult to land any reds.  However Johnny was able to get one the 2nd day, but it was just shy of the slot size.  I got a 17-18" the first day, however I also was able to get a slot sized red that was 24".  In Texas, the redfish have to be between 20-28" to keep.  And you can keep up to 3 per day.  

This spot that we stumbled across a few months back is one of the best redfish spots ive ever fished!  Its a flats area, that takes a while to walk to.  In fact its about a 2 mile walk, though tall grass and mud.  But the walk is worth it!  The reds are everywhere, and generally you can see them chasing bait in the water.  They are actively feeding in this area so they readily take flies if presented properly.  The best part of it, is that the walk deters other fisherman from coming to that spot, and therefor we have the whole flats area to ourselves.  I have never seen anyone back there, or even seen foot prints (except for hogs, deer and crane).   Pristine fishing, that I am very happy we found.  

Good Stuff!!

I'm gonna be down in port A in the spring. I'm planning on packing a rod. Hope to get a day to explore a bit. Did the guide thing last time. Caught one little dink. I would rather do my own thing and get skunked than pay a few hundred to get skunked.

Great report - as always...

The next step up, if can.... is to check out kayak rental outfits near the area you've been fishing... A yak is perfect for those kinds of areas and will allow you to extend your range each day and learn new spots... If I'd had access to a good kayak - all those years ago...  I might never have owned a boat  with a motor... Renting one a day or two will also allow you to find out whether you might like to own one eventually...  Locally, I've heard that easing along quietly in a kayak has allowed a few local bonefish anglers to sneak up on tailers... without spooking them...

By the way, if it were me I wouldn't be fishing out of that yak - instead I'd use it to find fish - then wade to them if the bottom was firm enough, while towing that yak behind me on a 15 foot tether... that will also allow you to have a cooler and a spare rod or two along with you - wherever you are, as well as the ability to jump on board and scoot back to safety if the weather turns sour...

Wading while towing a canoe or kayak can be a pain in the butt, literally, when something is pushing it into your back.  Say, your fishing with the wind or current coming from behind ... or you stop moving and the boat keeps drifting into you.

Buy a "deep drop" 1 pound weight.  (anything of similar weight and shape will work)  Tie it to the tail of your kayak/canoe/boat.  You won't even notice it when you're walking, but it will stop the boat when you stop ... keeping it out of your way.

Deep Drop Fishing Weight

Mike, good idea. I was fishing a local tailwater and found an 8 lb. dumbbell with a piece of rope tied to it. Got caught in a crevice in the rocks.

On 12/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, Upstate said:

Good Stuff!!

I'm gonna be down in port A in the spring. I'm planning on packing a rod. Hope to get a day to explore a bit. Did the guide thing last time. Caught one little dink. I would rather do my own thing and get skunked than pay a few hundred to get skunked.

Oh sorry to hear you got skunked.   Man I think I could get you on some fish Upstate!  Let me know when your gonna be down and maybe we can meet up.  

On 12/17/2021 at 1:54 PM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Great report - as always...

The next step up, if can.... is to check out kayak rental outfits near the area you've been fishing... A yak is perfect for those kinds of areas and will allow you to extend your range each day and learn new spots... If I'd had access to a good kayak - all those years ago...  I might never have owned a boat  with a motor... Renting one a day or two will also allow you to find out whether you might like to own one eventually...  Locally, I've heard that easing along quietly in a kayak has allowed a few local bonefish anglers to sneak up on tailers... without spooking them...

By the way, if it were me I wouldn't be fishing out of that yak - instead I'd use it to find fish - then wade to them if the bottom was firm enough, while towing that yak behind me on a 15 foot tether... that will also allow you to have a cooler and a spare rod or two along with you - wherever you are, as well as the ability to jump on board and scoot back to safety if the weather turns sour...

Yeah it would be nice to have a kayak, however that costs some money that I just dont have.   Also, my buddy has kayaks, but he never brings them out because he says they are a pain to deal with.  Oh well.   Ive tried the Yak thing before, but I never had tons of luck.  I think it would be good to get to location, then get out and wade.  Tough for me to fish out of one for some reason.  

On 12/18/2021 at 12:19 PM, mikechell said:

Wading while towing a canoe or kayak can be a pain in the butt, literally, when something is pushing it into your back.  Say, your fishing with the wind or current coming from behind ... or you stop moving and the boat keeps drifting into you.

Buy a "deep drop" 1 pound weight.  (anything of similar weight and shape will work)  Tie it to the tail of your kayak/canoe/boat.  You won't even notice it when you're walking, but it will stop the boat when you stop ... keeping it out of your way.

Deep Drop Fishing Weight

Good thoughts, I like it.  

In other simpler times (sounds better than "long ago and far away"..).  I knew guys that would simply drag a very short length of chain behind a skiff to control their drift - either in the skiff or wading, towing the skiff behind you...  Depending on just how big that skiff is - and how hard the wind is blowing you add or subtract the length of chain you're dragging...