Fly Tying
David 82nd

Looking for Hardcore Nymph guys

13 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

find something else

I just use Sally Hansen's, though I'm sure any clear polish would do.  The obvious downside is the drying time, but I'm a slow tyer so it fits my style. 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:41 PM, skeet3t said:

14 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Update: HL had the light but light and very small bottle of resin would be a bit over $20. Will do without and find something else.

Skeet are you looking to get into using UV resin or did I misunderstand?  If so you can get a UV light at Cabela's, their brand for $10 and a bottle of Loon resin is $15.  

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

Skeet are you looking to get into using UV resin or did I misunderstand?  If so you can get a UV light at Cabela's, their brand for $10 and a bottle of Loon resin is $15.  

We don't have a Cabela's locally. It was swallowed by BPS. $25 is more than $20. Plus the time and gas to get to BPS. I only shop the big box stores when in Chattanooga for doctor's appointments which is about three times a year.

6 hours ago, skeet3t said:

We don't have a Cabela's locally. It was swallowed by BPS. $25 is more than $20. Plus the time and gas to get to BPS. I only shop the big box stores when in Chattanooga for doctor's appointments which is about three times a year.

You can get a UV flashlight at Lowes or Ace or Home Depot too for about 7-8 bucks

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

You can get a UV flashlight at Lowes or Ace or Home Depot too for about 7-8 bucks

Resin? Thanks but I'll skip this aspect of tying.

12 hours ago, Shmang said:

Strike indicators will change your success rate in my humble opinion.

Used fly fishing bobbers and haven't seen any difference in strike success. As for UV light and resin, thanks to all but I'm ending this thread and forgeting about using UV resin.

11 hours ago, Shmang said:

Strike indicators will change your success rate in my humble opinion.

I agree but there are advantages to not using one depending on the type of water.  I use indicators when fishing fast broken water because it's just not possible to see my leader.  I also use them when fishing in deep holes because most of my leader will usually be submerged and again I can't see it.   However on clear shallow streams (waist deep or less) I prefer to float 60% of my leader and use that as my indicator.  We're talking short range here, no more than 2 rod lengths of fly ling on the water so say 20' - 30' at most. 

One advantage is that the presentation  lands a lot softer than with an indicator, therefore less likely to spook the really spooky small stream residents.  Second, every time you miss a strike or just lift to cast the indicator will create a surface disturbance.   A leader and fly(s) lifts with minimal disturbance so strikes cost you nothing and when fishing this style you should be striking at every twitch of the leader.  Also indicators, even yarn add weight and more importantly air resistance which for me anyway takes some time to get used to and that effects my casting accuracy.  The type of fishing I'm generally doing is on small streams with lots of overhangs and obstructions just waiting for a slightly off target cast.  I've ruined a lot of promising spots by wading through them to retrieve my flies from the bushes.

Lastly and speaking only for myself the success rate isn't my main focus when I'm out there.  Obviously l like to catch fish and I do catch enough to be satisfied but If it was all about quantity I would turn to euro nymphing.  The trouble with euro nymphing for me is that I find it a really boring way to fly fish. There's a certain Zen quality that I like that comes from casting, mending and getting a good drift.  I just really enjoy the traditional old school style of fly fishing I guess.

I don't watch the leader, as you say, it is submerged. I watch the end of the floating line. A lot of the time, the trout on the tailwater where I fish set the hook themselves. When the line twitches, fish on! What is really fun is when the line twitches, goes tight and your rod bends! A bummer is when you find a twig with leaves on it!

As for your last sentence,  I'm on your side.

Well said, @DFoster.  I can count on one hand how often I use an indicator throughout the season, pretty much under the conditions you describe.  

I too think it somehow goes against what I perceive to be the tradition of fly fishing (Edit - and I'm too lazy to change my set-up)

That and I'll never forget the look and comment I got  the first time I used an indicator in front of my Dad   'What the %#*@ is that?' LOL.

Sometimes all I really need is to be standing waist deep in water waiving a stick, to paraphrase that author guy. 

5 hours ago, skeet3t said:

I don't watch the leader, as you say, it is submerged. I watch the end of the floating line. A lot of the time, the trout on the tailwater where I fish set the hook themselves. When the line twitches, fish on! What is really fun is when the line twitches, goes tight and your rod bends! A bummer is when you find a twig with leaves on it!

As for your last sentence,  I'm on your side.

One of the best parts of fly fishing is that there are so many techniques possible and I'm happy for any one who is able to enjoy themselves for a few hours out on the water.  The important part is to get out there and figure out what type of fishing you enjoy.  

4 hours ago, niveker said:

Sometimes all I really need is to be standing waist deep in water waiving a stick, to paraphrase that author guy. 

I'm quite certain my euro nymphing friends on the Swift would describe my style as "standing waist deep in water and waiving a stick" LOL and I'm fine with that.  They do out fish me most days. I'm usually on the Swift for the brookies anyway and pass up the best Bow water which as you know is always crowded with "high Stickers".  I've had more than one ask me if I was lost while fishing in the shallow fast stuff.  "Nope" I say, I'm just happily casting a size 10 Royal Coachman winged wet with a #12 Silver Invicta dropper.  Yes that's correct I'm actually trying to catch another one of God's 5" masterworks".  I don't dare tell them I had to drive an hour to get there because then they would really think I was nuts.😜

I found a video on YouTube about this topic that Kelly Gallup did.  I too was frustrated with losing nymphs and fish. Kelly suggests a drop shot method. That way only your shot gets lost on snags and not your lucky nymph.  I started using this and keeping a tight line and what a game changer. Occasionally I will use an Airlock indicator just to help get the drift in those undercut shorelines.

2 hours ago, Nytrouthunter77 said:

I found a video on YouTube about this topic that Kelly Gallup did.  I too was frustrated with losing nymphs and fish. Kelly suggests a drop shot method. That way only your shot gets lost on snags and not your lucky nymph.  I started using this and keeping a tight line and what a game changer. Occasionally I will use an Airlock indicator just to help get the drift in those undercut shorelines.

Kelly Galloup took this technique from a nymphing book by Larry Tullis published in 2001 titled Nymphing Strategies. Tullis described a technique that was being used on the Provo River in Utah which was called Bounce Nymphing. 

Larry then published an article in Fly Fisherman Magazine Feb, 2005 issue titled "Bounce Nymphing where I first read of this method. The original article was then published on-line in 2012. That article can be found here:

https://www.flyfishingtraditions.com/bounce-nymphing/

1889284963_512GTA34P5L._SX315_BO1204203200_.jpg.8ce6a2ef805f3f543f2a01ce19254220.jpg

Here's an illustration from the Larry article that show you that it is what Kelly has renamed as drop shotting, a term that is taken from Bassmaster competitions.

1851264438_Screenshot2011-02-14at9_20_21AM.png.2f9041d9be2745ff0ab3190134b2268f.png

Here is an illustration from Kelly Galloup from Slide Innnymphing-diagram.jpg

Looks like a very common stream bottom bouncer rig an old worm dunker would use. Something we did as kids in the 60’s. Geez, maybe I invented it and Tullis and Galloup pirated it and claimed it as their own. Couldn’t be though because Tullis and Galloup are honorable men, plus no fly fisherman worth their Sage rod would ever admit to simply applying an old bait chucker rig to fly fishing.  Nope I’m blaming the gel coat bass fishing crowd with stealing the rig from me and applying it to bass fishing where it was subsequently discovered by fly fishing enthusiasts. Well I guess the secret couldn’t be kept forever.