Fly Tying
DFoster

Bamboo Rod Build

DF, I used to make sales calls on hospitals. I was amazed at the number of doctors, nurses, staff who smoked. Outside in the winter, too! Duh!

I used white thread with no color preserver years ago for a see through wrap.

13 hours ago, tferg said:

I used white thread with no color preserver years ago for a see through wrap.

I really like that look on flamed bamboo.  The trouble is I didn't know that until I saw it in places on this rod.  Who knows, at some point I may re do the wraps on this rod in that manner but for now I'm pretty happy with how it came out.  I'll post better photos taken in outside in the daylight once our arctic apocalypse subsides a little.

You did a great job on that rod.  I've built a lot of glass and graphite over the years but have only re-wrapped a couple of bamboos.  Can't imagine the amount of time and work they take to build from scratch.

4 hours ago, dave said:

You did a great job on that rod.  I've built a lot of glass and graphite over the years but have only re-wrapped a couple of bamboos.  Can't imagine the amount of time and work they take to build from scratch.

That's nice of you to say Dave.  Most of the pro builders say about 40 hours from scratch.  BUT they are pros working out of dedicated shops with lots of experience.   A guy like myself working in my home basement with limited knowledge and without custom tools would take much, much longer.  You really have to have access to a planing form to build from scratch which are expensive.  There are places on line that will tell you how to build one but again you need access to the correct machine tools ($$$).   So as much as I would like to build one from scratch It just made sense to order a pro made blank and go from there.  

I think it looks fantastic. Better yet is you did it yourself with limited tools, limited experience and probably not a fly rod building dedicated space. That’s a rod I would want over any other. Now time to enjoy its use.

11 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I think it looks fantastic. Better yet is you did it yourself with limited tools, limited experience and probably not a fly rod building dedicated space. That’s a rod I would want over any other. Now time to enjoy its use.

Thank you Poopdeck,  know from your post that your a big DYI guy as am I.  It was built over a period of weeks mostly on on my tying desk because it has better natural light than my basement work shop.   For me the value in an object happens the more I use it.  With each outing and every fish caught more and more memories  become associated with the rod.  My memories here  start at fitting the reel seat onto the blank and barring acts of God will end with many beautiful days on the water.   Finally I hope at least one of my Grand kids gets the fly fishing bug so that I have some one to leave it to who will use it.  At the moment my grandson has the most interest and has caught a few fish on a fly rod but he's only 4 so a lot can change.  

bbb.jpg.a59a8cfc37c6662f81ca77a0b51c244a.jpg