Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Addict

Hook sharpener

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a hook sharpener. What features do I want? Do I want electric or just a stone? I have noticed that when I fish with Tiemco hooks I get more hook ups and I think this is because they are sharper. Will sharpening Mustads give me the same results? I want to use Mustad hooks because of the price.

Thanks,

Addict

I agree with the Ed on the best sharpener for freshwater hooks.

I use a lot of different hook brands, including a lot of Mustads. Pay attention to the way the hook is originally sharpened when using whatever you choose. Mustads can be triangulated, but chemically sharpened hooks usually have a rounded hook point. You should try to match that shape if the point is rounded when using whatever sharpener you choose.

For saltwater, a mill file will do it. There is a small angled version I use with a yellow handle, but d**mned if I can remember the brand (been using the same one for 5 years) and it's not imprinted on the product. It's commonly available in most well-equipped bait shops. It really moves metal. Test the sharpness of the hook on your fingernails. If it doesn't dig in (without any real pressure), sharpen it more.

I like the sapphire-coated nail file from the drug store for about $3 to 8$. Being thin it is also easy to get between the hook and the shank. And it is light in the vest.

I carry a Luhr Jensen sharpner. Has always worked for me, plus the one I buy comes on a surgical tubing lanyard.

user posted image

Works great. Puts a nice edge on about any hook.

I would probably sink to the bottom with the crap I carry. I generally have any one or combination of toolmaker's die stones, standard sharpener with beadchain, etc. The one thing I like above all is the DMT diamond impregnated flat sharpener that folds into itself like a butterfly knife.

I have a rapala sharpener that came as a multi too kit. I never use it that often and have taken it off my vest. I like the way it works, it has a two round stones that make a grove where you place the hook and it is light and small. If you tie flies you will be able to have lots of the kind you like to fish with and can sharpen the dull hooks at home later. It is up to you but what would be easier sharpening a hook or tying a new fly on?

laugh.gif Dave. I know about a decade ago, my Dad and I decided to weigh our fishing vests. We grabbed out our scales and weighed them by the clip. Mine was just at the 26# mark, my Dad's was cracking 30#'s. But we're gear fisherman (where I'm gear/fly). So we carry an assortment of stuff. Especially if we're on extended wading trips. We'd have a box of spoons, spinners, drift gear, lead and extra lead, etc. Then I'd have spare spools, extra boxes of flies, etc. That's when we decided to scale down ALOT. Now I keep things to bare minimals unless I'm in the boat. Then I grab the HEAVY boat bag. LOL.

I do have one of the diamond sharpners above actually. And it's awesome. But I like the one on the lanyard. I've dropped it a few times, and it just dangles. But I have dropped the diamond sharpner, and barely got it back (was wet when done).

I'll weigh my vest sometime soon. Seems like I have to sling it over and on to get the weight moving enough to do that.

Re: Diamond, Arkansas, Carborundum, etc., stones- all stones should be lubricated to perform efficiently. Diamond wants water or water-soluble lubricant; Novaculite (Arkansas) will accept either or oil, as will Carborundum accept water or oil alone. To oil a stone is to oil it forever.

Greg- I'm sure you know this but for those who might not- Sapphire or other semi-precious stone is softer than Diamond and will dull sooner against hard surfaces. Diamond nail files hold up a little better.

Jerry - what's that lanyard stone of yours made of? I think I want one! (being a gearhead and all and not needing one, but.... blink.gif )

I think it's made of steel Dave. Not 100% sure. But it's a REAL file. Has the cross grooves just like any handfile you'd have on a workbench at home. Just instead of them putting a wooden handle on the end, they left the metal end open to put a surgical tubing on.

Need one? If you can't find one locally, I can send you one. Have tons here (I'm in Luhr Jensen country here lol).

I like the idea of weighing your vest. I hurt my neck and shoulder a few years ago and go as light as I can. If I dont realy need it it stays home.

It'll rust. But I always keep up on mine (lube it up, keep it dry). So never had the problem with it. Have had the same one for about 14 years now that's in my vest. Still going strong. But did have rust on it one year I had put it away wet (just tossed my vest aside and forgot to unpack). And it cleaned right off, though it had been rusty for a bit. Was more of a surface thing. But held up good (and the water I was fishing with this sharpner was straight out of the Pacific, still highly salt concentrated water of Grays Harbor). So holds up pretty good.

Yeah, okay, What the He!!. Hey, Jerry- ping me offline re: older conversation(s). Thanx.

Gearhead out.