Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Next project

Finished the racing seat & driver for the new truck build project I'll be starting soon. I couldn't find a 3D STL file for a driver I liked, so I used a WW2 pilot file I found that had proportions I liked and then modified it a bit. I printed it at 65% infill so that it would be sturdier to work with so I could heat it up and bend it to the positions I liked then ran cold water over it to re-harden it in that position. Sanded down the helmet and added a visor to it to give it more of a race look. Painted up a drivers suit, and made a 5 point harness out of some nylon strapping. Steel tubing should be here by the weekend so I will be starting bending/welding up the chassis soon for this project.

x2kF3Eb.jpg
N216eFl.jpg
ts8AK5n.jpg
ZYRIrwS.jpg

Also printed/painted/details a scale race motor for it as well.

iGCbnbE.jpg

It appears like you're definitely out of the woods with a china virus!  Nice start to the project ... building it from the driver out!

hC9qvWK.jpg
XKyJzCQ.jpg
B1f2J93.jpg

After a few months of parts collecting it's time to dive into this new project. Have pretty much everything now except the esc/motor and parts to make the 4 links, but now can start building the chassis probably tonight after I get done with some rods for the evening.

Got some more done on the latest build this morning. I like to do a bit different design on each tube chassis I make so did a bit different lay out of the gusset/support bards on the side plates on this one and like how it turned out. Looks funny right now without the cab/upper cage built, but will start on those in a few days when I get time, gotta do some "real work" over the next few days

Tjdq3DG.jpg

nwK8v0A.jpg

kQCGBlh.jpg

5mS0aPZ.jpg

Really nice work there Steve!  The RC world is something I know little about but I can appreciate the meticulous craftsmanship required.

qKycbdM.jpg

Been a couple months since I was able to do anything on the latest tube chassis truck build, just been real busy with work stuff. Finally had to take a break from work stuff and relax so decided to get back on this project. Was able to finish up all the fabrication and just got it all cleaned/sanded down and ready for color now.

Fabrication & paint/clear all done. Also took apart the Ignitor wheels and painted them Hammered silver as well as painted the beadlocks. Soooo many screws in those wheels lol. Now the fun part of starting to put it all together can start. Gonna look great with the Polished freestyle axles under it. That may have to wait a few days though, too much work going on for the next few days at least till I have time to work on this again.

352mDS4.jpg

i2WKCsq.jpg

LGQUT6w.jpg

Updated pics of my latest project. This chassis is all out of 3/16 steel brake line brazed with Harris rod & flux. I 3d printed the driver, seat. all scale parts. Links and other parts I did custom as well. Uses Freestyle Rc axles, SCS trans, Savage big bore shocks. Just got the ESC & motor\ed the other day which are brushless sensored Castle Mamba - x and 5700kv. Not done yet, and was not going to share pics till fully painted & done, but I couldn't resist at this stage :)

S76Mik8.jpg
o4n8ZiF.jpg
KoSX1gJ.jpg
sS8CNzl.jpg
hADBkKK.jpg

Latest tube chassis truck project is finally done. Worked in airbrushing the body the other night. All set and ready to go, hope to have some time next week to get it out and run it for the first time.

mb3QM79.jpg
AKylP1g.jpg
QCL3GJs.jpg
xkX8hQv.jpg
VuWt4h2.jpg
GTjqAA2.jpg
kFKGmGd.jpg
WP8qQ1v.jpg
nXxnlgv.jpg
Q9ksXX4.jpg
VqnmFiD.jpg
bR1ePoU.jpg

Pretty cool!  You can make it "fly" level or do back flips?  Is that just in how much power you apply at the right times?  Or is it the shape of the ramp?

Maybe it's just because the car is gone, or that I've only been there during Winter months ... but I don't remember there being that much space in your back yard.  So, the Bonsai garden is straight behind the house, and this area is inline with the drive way ... I'm assuming.