Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
skeet3t

Fake fur

The wife gave me a fake fur collar from an old vest she was tossing out. Pondering what to tie. Will look through my books to see. Main color is dark brown.

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

Tie dark brown fake streamers.  Maybe?

I don't thing the hair is long enough for streamers unless the streamers are small.

This is something I haven't done myself but you might want to look up info on making dubbing brushes - they're a hot item in the saltwater tying world... The end result looks a bit like dubbing - but longer and fuller... 

When I use "polar hair" I make a point of tearing the ends to shorten it for wings on bonefish flies (Gotchas, Charlies, etc.) instead of cutting it to produce a more staggered natural length to a synthetic wing...  These Gotchas (ranging in size from #4 down to #6) have their synthetic wings done using that technique... 

oua61jG.jpg

Captain, will look at my tying books to see what is similar to what you show. Thanks.

Since all of that "fake fur" usually comes attached to a cloth of some sort there's an additional use that I only discovered incidentally... After you've used enough of the fur you'll be left with the base cloth with  remnants of the fur still attached... A piece of that, a square about two to three inches worth makes a very good pad for wiping excess glue from any tube end of glue (CA, Fletch-Tite, Sally Hansens, every glue I've used...) - and you'll be able to use it indefinitely since once the glue hardens you can easily scrape it away from the pad...

1 hour ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Since all of that "fake fur" usually comes attached to a cloth of some sort there's an additional use that I only discovered incidentally... After you've used enough of the fur you'll be left with the base cloth with  remnants of the fur still attached... A piece of that, a square about two to three inches worth makes a very good pad for wiping excess glue from any tube end of glue (CA, Fletch-Tite, Sally Hansens, every glue I've used...) - and you'll be able to use it indefinitely since once the glue hardens you can easily scrape it away from the pad...

Coffee filter and acetone. Coffee filters don't leave lint and they are real cheap (like me). Used it for years while building custom rods and building arrows.