Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

What to do

I’m fishing one and keeping one, for the time being. Now I’m really looking for March/April to arrive. Let’s hope I catch one on it. 

15 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I’m fishing one and keeping one, for the time being. Now I’m really looking for March/April to arrive. Let’s hope I catch one on it. 

Then, if it's a good fish, and if you are a Mount-a-fish kind of guy (Though I suspect you are not) you could have a repro made of the fish and stick the fly in it's mouth, retire it forever and then your  heirs will have to figure out what to do with it and the fish later.

I’m not a fish mount guy but this would be a good reason to take a picture of a fish. I’m sure my heirs would love to keep a picture of me holding a fish with the fly sticking out its mouth. 

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I’m not a fish mount guy but this would be a good reason to take a picture of a fish. I’m sure my heirs would love to keep a picture of me holding a fish with the fly sticking out its mouth. 

Great idea. I took a picture of a fish that was so big, the picture weighed two pounds!

Each of those two flies are very well done and classic Deceivers.... Before you fish them can you provide some measurements? Hook size and overall length will tell me what size fish they were meant for.  An alternative to fishing them is to save them for display -after you use them as a tying reference to tie up your own Deceivers... The genius of Lefty's Deceiver is that it fishes well - everywhere in the world if the size matches the local forage -from inshore all the way out to blue water...  Deceivers were always a staple in orders I filled for shops over the years - I did them in basic smaller sizes (#2 up to 1/0 as well as really big versions -the "Southern Deceiver" is what I called them back in the mid-eighties, and it was on a big 4/0 or 5/0, ex- strong hook....).   I haven't tied a single deceiver since I quit tying commercially but it will still be in use somewhere in the world a hundred years from now - it''s that good... 

Oh I know exactly what I’m going to fish for with it. Striped bass come spring time. And I’m going to up my odds of success by fishing it when you can’t keep the schoolies out of the boat.