Fly Tying
lights_go_out

Ideas for size 12 nymphs?

Don't forget prince nymphs, any of the Polly Rosborough nymphs, scuds, caddis larvae, peeking caddis, a wide variety of flymphs, almost all the winged wets, even the LaFontaine sparkle pupa series.

I use straight hooks often and have not noticed any difference with my hook ups ...... I am sure others could offer a much more in depth explanation ...... but for me the straight eye hooks work as well as the down eye hooks.

BTW, send me your addy and I will send you some smaller hooks if you'd like........... enough to get you through quarantine.

Hope all goes well.

Size 12 is not too big. Real nymphs come in all sizes up to size 6 or larger Salmonfly nymphs. In size 12, consider Prince Nymphs, Gold Ribbed Hare's ear, Zug Bugs, Red Fox Squirrell Nymphs, March Brown Soft Hackles.....

For mayflies, the size of the nymph is generally the same size as the adult mayfly. So if you have size 12 mayflies in your area, tie the appropriate nymph.

Otherwise, you can tie attractor nymphs like the Prince nymph. Or you can add a bead to the nymphal pattern.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and addressing my questions folks!  There's a lot to dig into here, but it's clear that I don't need to necessarily worry about a 12 hook being too big for most nymph patterns!  One thing is clear is that I also need to stock up on more varieties of thread, hackle, etc.  I'm on the mend and feeling a lot better, but still have a few days of isolation to go, so the tying will continue.

While I'm sure these are considered simpler patterns by the likes of you advanced tyers, here's a few I was able to crank out over the last two days. A couple of these you can tell were done before I ran out of size 14-16s, but now onto tying whatever I want onto a 12!  Any constructive criticism is welcome, I'm still new to this! Pics in order: BH Sili Prince, Pheasant Tail, Purple Darth Baetis.

Thanks again for all the ideas and commenting on my post, it's great to join the board and see what an awesome community you have here! 

fly1.jpg

fly2.jpg

fly3.jpg

Welcome to the site-  Out here in Massachusetts size 12 to 18 seems to be the sweet spot for nymphs as well as dries and soft hackles (targeting trout) and generally speaking that's probably true in most parts of the country.  The size #12 PTN and Hare's ear are classics and according to Orvis " they will catch trout anywhere in the world".  

There are enough variations of those two flies alone that if you tie four of a kind in size 12 I'm sure you could fill a couple large fly boxes.  Check out youtube-

Green and brown drakes, flavs too. As to thread you can use the 70 on size 12's no problem.  The smaller denier threads are fine and you don't get thread "build up" as quickly.  Meaning you can keep your flies thinner more streamlined.

I agree with all of the above.  You can use the old Steelheader's trick of a "reduced dressing"  alluded to above in tying a smaller fly on a larger hook.  Spiders and other soft hackles, and Carey specials!

I had read that as a hatch continues, the nymphs get smaller. Good reason to carry different sizes of a pattern.