Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch Challenge # 5

Hopefully everyone is ready for this month's Match the Hatch Challenge. An adult Golden Stonefly. I have never attempted to tie the adult stage of this insect before, this should be fun.

Graham

user posted image

Dale, I really don't know what to say, except, WOW, amazing, fantastic, etc...!!!

I hope to tye tonight, not quite sure what to use for the wings. I'm thinking Dur-Lar, scribed detail, colored, then use a hand burnishing tool (small metal ball on the end of a rod) to rub and shape the wing curvature. This will be fun, I love tying stoneflies, but have only done nymphs.

Graham

Here's my first attempt and I'm fairly happy with it, hopefully each following one improves. I used Dura-Lar for the wing as well as the top side of the head and foam for the body, paint brush fibers for tails and antennae.

Graham

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Hi Aarne and Dale, Thank you. Aarne, your fly looks wicked, I love it.

I need to adjust the leg placement on the next attempt, as well as tail and antennae length. Luckily when I scribed the wing material it curved all by itself and tied on easily. The fly was surprisingly quick to tye, floats well and I hope to crank out a bunch during this months challenge.

QUOTE (Salmonfly @ May 5 2005, 03:37 PM)
Will they be a mating pair?  biggrin.gif

Salmonfly I do not tie ever that mating stuff....... lol.gif lol.gif

Did i write that guite so.... unsure.gif

Graham thats nice if you like that a toy flys.

Hey guys, here it is, challenge no. 5. Still kicking myself for missing out on the first three. Salmonfly thats one hell of a stonefly, nice legs.........and dont take that out of context! and Graham.......I heard you had a few skills around that vice of yours and they weren't wrong, excellent stuff. What are you people using for wings!!!!!!!!! Poor old Irish folk here have to revert to using the old fashioned method of placing cut hair between two pieces of raffia. Anyway, my entry is arriving soon , so keep them coming........Good work all.

Hey mayflyman, thanks. The material for the wings and how they are scribed and colored is shown in the Mayfly Challenge. To make the wings I copied the Challenge photo into my computer, erased everything not wingy looking, reduced the size and at the same time increased the dpi resolution. I am pasting two pics below, one is the size of the file I printed with a wing about 1". The second pasted pic below is the size you need to copy, put into your computer and using a photo editor change the image from 72 dpi to 300 dpi @ 1.25"

I printed the wings onto Dura-Lar using a color laser printer, makes many, many dozens on a single page. Stapled the clear material on top of a piece of regular white paper, then using a short sharp bodkin, scribed the printed lines, colored the wing with a brown permanent marker, then real quick wiped it off with a lightly moistened paper towel, leaving the ink only in the scribed lines. Then I cut out the wing with scissors and painted them with clear acrylic varnish and a pinch of gold pigment powder and yellow acrylic ink. I think they look pretty good.

Graham

user posted image

user posted image

Very nice flies guys headbang.gif Hopefully I'll get the chance to sit down at the vice latter next week and see what I can come up with.

Duckydoty