Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch Challenge # 5

Hey Aarene, Thank you!!! I am enjoying learning this pattern. I think you were asking how I make them all identical. For the head capsule I print a sheet with over a hundred identical heads on Dur-Lar. The file I use is below. The file can be copied, and using photoshop you can change the image size from 72 dpi to 300 dpi the head will be the right printable size for a size 6 hook, and the detail will be good.

user posted image

The pic above is just a section of the file I made for printing stonefly nymphs, with three wing buds, I can post that file as well. Now my adults can almost identicaly match the nymph's. Maybe printing materials is cheating, I'm not sure, but it works for me.

Graham

Guys, all of these flies are simply amazing. To see such quality and talent is pretty inspiring. Thank you for posting all of the "how to" informational tips which will help me get there one day.

Nick

OK guys, here is my contribution. Thank you Dale and Graham for the inspiration. You guys are true artist and I hope to someday reach the level you guys are at. I'm still having problems with the colors of my flies. They are just not as "Crisp" as yours. Anyways...let me know what you think.

post-49-1115883131.jpg

another pic....

The body is razor foam. I strapped 2 porcupine quills onto the hook shank pointing the taper of one of the ends toward the tail. I then used stripped quills from a spey hackle for the tails. The body is then wrapped with the foam. The legs are a combination of Porky quills and Japenese nymph legs. The antenae is porky guard hair. The wing is 4 pieces of Z-Wing from Spriit River, wrinkled and covered in Dave's Flexament. The colors are Prisim colors.

post-49-1115883188.jpg

Hey littledeschutes, Your fly looks very well proportioned, nice shape, cool coloring, I like it a lot, great tying my friend. I have often wondered how some tyers get such nice looking legs, especially the thicker upper portion. Do you use pieces of porcupine quills? I have never tried that, but have some quills here. Do you put one single piece on the leg material and tie on or do you tie on the legs then slide one up each side? I need to try that. Thanks.

Hi riverguide, I have posted links several times to on line art stores that sell Dura-Lar. A google search works well. I like the .003 thickness, comes in a note pad style and the sheets are 9"x12". I trim them to 8.5 x 11 to fit in my printer, but I seem to recall seeing some of the online places stocking that size as well. For my mayfly wings I do not print on the Dura-Lar, instead I print on regular paper, staple a sheet of Dura-Lar over it and use a short stout bodkin and trace the lines, then color the wings with markers and acrylic varnich tined with pigment powders. I get mine from a local art store. Thats how I found the stuff, by browzing around a large art store across from Universal Studios which supplies many of the local studio art needs.

Graham

This months challenge collection is still growing. I hope you guys take a break from fishing and do some tying as well.

user posted image

These flies are amazing, look so real bugeyes.gif But there is no use of tying theme if you don't fish enough, is it Graham wink.gif

Fantastic flies headbang.gif

Hey Laxi, If I lived in where you do, I would be fishing all the time and only tying enough to keep my boxes stocked. Currently I'm anchored in S California and need to drive many hours to reach good wild trout fishing. I try and take a few quality trips each year, just booked my plane fare to fish the Adirondacks next month.

If you are wondering why I have been tying all these flies, as well as realistics dries that sink? I am building myself an indoor dry trout stream to hang on the wall. About 6 feet long, 2' deep and about 3' tall. I have two 12 pound fiberglass brownies and one 12 lb rainbow and a growing collection of flies to arrange on the rocks and vegetation. I need hundreds more flies of many types and it will take years to finish, but I'm having fun making it. It will be quite spectacular, I hope.

Graham

Awsome flies everyone! You all have me in awe. headbang.gif

Graham- Thats a great idea! Your 'stream' will be quite a project, but I bet it will look wicked. E-mail me once its done and you start selling tickets see it. laugh.gif

Hi guys, sorry I took so long I've been a bit busy so here's something I put together tonight. As far as Golden stoneflies go, I don't tie them very often, especially the adult (as the photo shows). So if any of you guys have a few high res photos of some adults, they would be gratefully recieved. Thanks Graham for the winging technique it's very effective I just changed the colour slightly so I dont know accurate it really is. Any critisism will be welcomed.

Hi mayflyman, EXCELLENT looking fly!! Today I finally got Dale's CD showing how he makes his legs, using a porcupine quill, looks similar to the legs on your fly, which look fantastic. I can't wait to try this. And thank you for sharing your work, the coloring looks awesome.

Graham