Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

The Bream Killer - A sunfish and crappie pattern

The bream killer fly pattern was requested by one of my subscribers a while back. I decided to give it a go, and it seems like a pretty good pattern. Somewhat simple to tie, and im sure it will be effective. I can see more than just sunfish, bluegill, and crappie eating this though. I suspect bass, and other warm water fish should eat it as well.

A fish-getter, for sure. I never tie with legs as it is frustrating when little fish grab the leg and pull on the fly, making a false take. I do this mainly with poppers and some other flies. My trout water has loads of little shiners that make you think you have a trout but nothing when you set the hook. BTW, the do this with dry flies, too. If it's a store bought fly or popper, the legs are clipped off.

I didn't watch the video, but based on the picture, it'd probably work if you put it in front of a trout, too.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:04 AM, skeet3t said:

A fish-getter, for sure. I never tie with legs as it is frustrating when little fish grab the leg and pull on the fly, making a false take. I do this mainly with poppers and some other flies. My trout water has loads of little shiners that make you think you have a trout but nothing when you set the hook. BTW, the do this with dry flies, too. If it's a store bought fly or popper, the legs are clipped off.

Good to know, yeah sunfish are like little piranhas….  

On 1/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, tmrkr said:

Great looking fly that I will have to try making.

It’s pretty simple, tie up a few.   

On 1/13/2022 at 6:21 PM, niveker said:

Nice, @McFlyLures  I like that wing pad or whatever it is made with a clump of hair, don't think I've seen that before.  

Yeah the original tier I think was onto something here.  Let me know how it works for ya.  

On 1/14/2022 at 2:59 PM, mikechell said:

I didn't watch the video, but based on the picture, it'd probably work if you put it in front of a trout, too.

Yeah probably for sure, especially stocked trout