Fly Tying
Moshup

Hackle inflation !!!

9 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Not bad if done right. I had lunch on more than one occasion while sitting in their kitchen nibbling on saltines with jellied chicken and sipping scotch with Harry. Maybe it was the whiskey that made the old bird more palatable 😂😂😂

SalarMan when I was a young man just out of school a friend of mine and myself went to fish the Beaverkill and maybe visit Harry !  We drove  up to the farmhouse with the goat in the front yard in the doghouse .  Harry was fairly along then in years and after chatting a bit I mentioned that I was Scottish on my mother’s side and her grandparents were from Cape Breton . That’s all Harry had to hear as he told us to pull a chair and he talked about how he ,Elsie and Lee Wulff would fish the Margaree. We had a very nice afternoon visit with him.

37 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

What is valuable to me are warnings with practical SOLUTIONS.

Check out the Resnick Sustainability Institute at Caltech. Saw it while visiting recently with my daughter, impressive stuff.

https://resnick.caltech.edu/about

Unfortunately, though, they are not doing anything to address rising hackle prices...

6 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Odd but when I was in grade school in the 50s, we were told the earth was cooling. There has been the idea of a negative population growth across the globe but that will kill the consumer economy.

Not what I was told in grade school in 50's.  They were talking global warming even then.

Moshup - I was lucky enough to be introduced to the Darbees by a LONG TIME friend of theirs, a chap by the name of Baird Foster...another Scotsman. They always made me feel welcome and at home when I would visit. Most of those visits were during the winter when things were quieter around the place and there was time for me to me to shop plus sit and enjoy conversation and company over lunch. Then drive the 4 hours home after a bit of libation with Harry...whew...those were the days🥃🥃

I still have and occasionally tie off necks I got from them. One funny story about a particular neck then I'll sign off for now. I asked Harry about what a true bronze dun neck would look like and he disappeared for a few minutes and when he returned he had this incredible neck he described as a once in a lifetime bronze dun. With a big smile on my face I asked if it was for sale and he apologetically told me he just couldn't let it go. Okay...I understood. A few days later I received a package from them and inside was that neck and note from Elsie. The note was simple and to the point - "George, $50 for the neck. If you don't want it just send it back, Elsie." I couldn't write the check fast enough and I still have that neck virtually untouched.

They were just wonderful people who I always remember with great fondness!!

59 minutes ago, Moshup said:

Great stuff SalarMan !  Nice people .  Thanks for the memory .

Always a pleasure.

2 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Hackle Inflation ???

f7c7ea7c6b8c9e9a3dbecdf87a7a4ca2.jpg

d12fbc604dd1b325c9aae316dc83ac98.jpg

Hackle OVER inflation!

@DFoster @Feathers5

Thanks for the compliment on the photo.  It was taken this past fall in our back yard.  The

foxes have been healthy the past several years with beautiful coats. As you know their very

prone to cases of the mange.

18 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

What is valuable to me are warnings with practical SOLUTIONS. It does me no good to tell me that fossil fuels causes global warming when the weather prediction is temps below aero and the choice is between using my furnace or freezing to death!

Really well stated Silver.  I try to live in reality and right now humanity does not have a viable and cost effective replacement for fossil fuel.  Saving the planet will matter little to people who can't afford to eat or stay warm as a result of an economic collapse.

I am a retired radiologist. One of my specialties was nuclear medicine and I was the nuclear safety officer for my medical center.

My opinion is that nuclear reactors have gotten much safer since 3 mile island and that nuclear power can provide the carbon free bridge between using fossil fuels and the transition to all solar, wind, and ocean tide/wave electrical generation.

France's electrical power is over 70% nuclear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_France

9 hours ago, Moshup said:

@DFoster @Feathers5

Thanks for the compliment on the photo.  It was taken this past fall in our back yard.  The

foxes have been healthy the past several years with beautiful coats. As you know their very

prone to cases of the mange.

They're healthy here too. With as many cottontails as we have the fox population is pretty good. They are some of my favorite animals.

All of my flies that I tie up are wet flies but even wet fly hackle isn't as cheap as it used to be. 

I used to tie 1000's of dry flies for my customers back in the 80's and into the late 90's and I couldn't do that now the way hackle prices are.