Fly Tying
WWKimba

The Ladies Night Swap - Guys are welcome too!

more women tyers to google

Dame Juliana Berners, Mary Orvis Marbury, Elizabeth Greig, Winnie Dette, Mary Dette Clark, Elsie Darbee, Helen Shaw, Sig Barnes, Megan Boyd, Frances Stearns, Selene Dumaine, Sharon E. Wright, Lisa Weiner, Nicole March, Page Rogers, Cathy Beck, Phillipa Hake, Brita Fordyce and April Vokey.

1 minute ago, flytire said:

more women tyers to google

Dame Juliana Berners, Mary Orvis Marbury, Elizabeth Greig, Winnie Dette, Mary Dette Clark, Elsie Darbee, Helen Shaw, Sig Barnes, Megan Boyd, Frances Stearns, Selene Dumaine, Sharon E. Wright, Lisa Weiner, Nicole March, Page Rogers, Cathy Beck, Phillipa Hake, Brita Fordyce and April Vokey.

Not all of those women actually originated flies, or if they did, it's not recorded (which doesn't mean they weren't great tyers.) 

And Dame Juliana may not have even existed.

7 hours ago, DarrellP said:

I will try an Alice Contract fly.  I assume those on her website listed with the prefix "AC" are her originals.  I am doing this because I don't want to appear misogynistic. Not with three daughters!  Besides , I have long admired her flies.

got to flytierspage.com and search her name (Alice Conba, that is) - they will have her picture, bio, and pictures and recipes for many of her patterns.

Kim

If anyone needs some suggestions, I'll be happy to help out.  Just notify me here or by PM.

Kim

If you like a particular type of fly - wet, dry, streamer. nymph, spider,... let me know that as well or I'll just send a mix.

6 hours ago, DarrellP said:

That is the site I was using.  I assume the AC prefix means it is her original?

They're some pretty nice looking flies, too.

Welcome to the swap gadabout from a central NYer!  Love to see your tie.

Kim

On 2/1/2022 at 9:10 PM, gadabout said:

I’m in.  I’ll do “Northern Lights” by Joni aka Fly Goddess.

gadabout? Any part of Gadabout Gaddis the Flying Fisherman have a part in your screen name? I'm old enough to have looked forward to Gadabout flying into some great fishing spot on our 10"x10" black and white TV. He was my hero back then and men like him and Curt Gowdy and others definitely had an influence on my life 70 years ago.

43 minutes ago, gadabout said:

he was a huge hero of mine too

Holy smokes, that's why you're avatar looks familiar.  LOL, I never put 2 and 2 together, what a maroon! 

Back in my Boy Scout leadership days, every Mother's Day weekend our Troop would make an annual, guided white water rafting trip up to the Kennebec and Dead Rivers and camp at his old airstrip in Bingham along the Kennebec, which is now owned by an outfitter.  It was the highlight of the year.  

Right now I have 7 pairs of these soft hackles originally tied by Deb Paskalll and on her tube page. Red butt with a twist on tail section and Silver on silver with SLF thorax. Since I had a good supply of mottled brown hen hackle I used what she did but might do some variants for my own box besides these originals. And just for fun a size 20 CDC blue special. Blue dun puff for tail, Small blue wire wrap bod, CDC tip for wing. I'm believe the gills will love this.

DSCF6708 (2).JPG

DSCF6706 (2).JPG

DSCF6710 (2).JPG