Fly Tying
WWKimba

The Ladies Night Swap - Guys are welcome too!

I always wondered if you'd shortened your handle from caddisfishingbobnelson!

Kim

3 hours ago, vicrider said:

Okay, if cut off is today can I send my 6 sets of 2 in now? 

Actually, I ran this theme on 3 different sites and EACH did not hit the 6 swapper minimum.  I guess I'm going to run my first 3 site cross-site swap ever!

Kim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ALERT: A change to this swap!  It is now  a CROSS-Site

swap with 3 sites sending tyers.  The two other sites that

are participating are NAFFF (the flyfishingforum.com) and

FTG (flytyingguild.com).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With less than 2 1/2 hours left for registration NONE of the sites had the minimum of 6 tyers to hold the swap.  Luckily, this is the FIRST time I've offered the same theme on 3 sites at the same time.  So, unless something changes in the next 2 hours or so we will HOLD this swap with 11 total swappers from all 3 sites.  Check this post Saturday AM for the OFFICIAL final count.

Kim

Kim, this is not something that is going to work on this site. I plan my tying around this site and not others that I have no idea what they'll do. The exception is Christmas swap but that's a totally different thing. I am sending the flies for this swap on this board to you and as forum mod I would give you a warning about doing this again without a clear explanation at the beginning. What flies you're short on other sites is not my responsibility but yours and my first inclination is to drop out now but I will send the flies for this group and as far as any one from this board is concerned it is up to them but they also are only responsible for flies on this site based on cutoff and signups from you original post.

I appreciate your input but luckily, there was no overlap in the flies (with a few of the TBA's not counted) - I did check that first.  Also, this way the swap could run OR I cancel/postpone 3 swaps - which I hate to put those who DO sign-up through.  I had no intention of combining this swap with any others (especially on this site!) due to the higher number of active swappers on this site.  Like I said, it was either combine for a swap of 11 people of cancel/postpone.  The basic swap rules of this site are still being observed though and that was my intention.

Kim

The OFFICIAL swap final number is 11 swappers total.  All will need to send in 11 flies total and thank you all for participating!

Kim

You will get the six pairs of flies I tied for this group. If you split them up then you are just gypping the people who signed up with our site. No one from this site owes more then 6 flies. What you do on other sites does not have an effect on our site. You have been a good and regular swapmeister on this site and you risk that status by doing a rules change at end of swap closing. 

I don't see how this is rule change.  Kim stated up front that registration was open until Feb. 17.  On the 17th, five more swappers signed up, at least some of whom are members here (myself included.)

I've said from the beginning that I will work within the rules of the site.  So we have 6 participants as a final number.

Kim

On 1/22/2022 at 11:36 PM, WWKimba said:

Guys are welcome too!

Of all the swaps I've run in the last 11 years this is one of my all-time favorites! This swap, with a due date in March (Women's History Month) is for fly patterns designed by women. And PLEASE, no more pictures of you guys tying in a dress!! Women have contributed a lot to this fine hobby over the years. Fly Fishing Hall of Famer, Mary Orvis Marbury, was the first American to compile a book of American fly patterns (all books before were from Europe), she was in charge of Orvis' professional fly tyers program (all women) and one of her last pupils became a HOFer herself! Did you know that Holly Theirault was only 12 years old (with 8 years tying under her belt!) when she designed the Maple Syrup fly. And there are women from outside the US as well - Alice Conba from Ireland, Nadia Stancev of Macedonia, Torill Kolbu from Norway, and Misako Ishimura from Japan.

Here are the rules of this swap. Flies must have a woman as one of its designers. Flies can be from women of history or current tyers and if you are a woman or a guy lucky enough to know a woman tyer who designs flies GREAT!  FRESH WATER PATTERNS ONLY - so I am sorry to any Dotty Ballantyne or Dianna Rudolph fans out there (although I have had some success using bonefish patterns to catch bass and other fish-eating fish!).

Sign-up will close at when we reach 12 swappers OR by the Friday, February 18th and the flies are due by Friday, March 18th. Please remember the basic 5 - your flies, toe tags, swap box, SASE and your sending envelope. This swap is open to ALL level tyers and a fly-tying gift or two will be sent to all swappers.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me on this site and I'll be most happy to help you out. Also, if you are a newer tyer or new to swaps, please let me know as well so I can best help make this a great experience for you!

Lastly, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Kim

1) John1986 (FTF)- TBD 
2) DarrellP (FTF)
3) gadabout - (FTF) Northern Lights
4) fishingbobnelson (FTF) - Spent Partridge Caddis
5) 
6) Woodenlegs (FTF) - Fern Fly by Mary Orvis Marbury
7) 
😎 vicrider (FTF) (by request!) - I will do two Deb Paskall soft hackle flies

Kim, you are and have been a great addition to our site. Maybe letting other things effect my thinking lately but I'm sorry I came on like I did. I do feel this swap didn't work as good as it should have and the last minute changes aren't fair to our members but at the same time the other sites have great people like you on them to. I have just gone to the vise and tied 5 of the Deb's red butt flies to include with my pairs of flies for our group. The people on the other sites shouldn't be shorted if it's okay with our other members they can include the extra flies and let you keep good status with some other fine boards. The double sets can be left as doubles for our members. I like her design of the red butt especially and will look forward to using on the White River this year if things allow.

Your cyber friend,

Nick