Fly Tying
Blueman89

Fly-Fishing Bluefish

Hi guys, I'm new to the board and this is my first post . I was wondering if anyone here has ever fly-fished for Bluefish from shore or the surf.It would be nice if I could get some info on how and what are some of the best patterns. Info for the surf would be really great. When I fish for them it's in Ocean City, Maryland. I'm sure most tactics could be used anywhere though. Thanks. gun_bandana.gif gunsmilie.gif

Hey Blueman,

I haven't gotten into blues on the fly yet

(haven't been flyfishing very long) but what I

know about them first hand is silver spoons do well

and they're pretty damn vicious so I would imagine

durability would be a concern as the action can be

fast and time spent tying knots can cost you fish.

So whatever you tie up for them you might want

to go heavy on the flash and the epoxy.

Basicly, anything bright that moves will take Blues.

Whatever you use for Stripers will attract them, sometimes when you don't want them. They are not very discriminating when it comes to flies.

post-21-1115378249.jpg

As Bill said sometimes the challenge is NOT catching Bluefish especially if you are trying to sink a fly through them to the stripers below.

My favorite Bluefish fly is one Mark Sedotti showed but I don't know the name.

It is simply a tail for flashabou, a collar of flashabou and an upper and lower wing of bucktail. Best thing about it is that you can cast a 10" fly easily with a 7wt rod since once the flashabou is wet it clings together like a dart.

Thanks for the replies guys. Nice fish Onshore. What fly did was sacraficed and where did you catch that? Sean Juan, I looked at your pattern page and I'm already anxious(spelling?) to tie some of them. Would you fish your Eel/Snake pattern in the surf or at an Inlet? I'm thinking that would be dynamite for stripers around an inlet jetty. Just for the heck of it where do you guys fish saltwater most of the time? gun_bandana.gif gunsmilie.gif

Actually, it took a Polaris Popper last November at Herring Cove Beach in Provincetown, Cape Cod.

Bill is right, anything will take them...so save all those beaten up striper flies for your bluefish flys. They also can be caught on a striper strip speed as well as the traditional fast strip. I have had situations where they have been selective, especially along the surf when they have corralled bait fish in close.... Your clouser might not attract them OR your sand eel fly might not get a strike if they are into peanut bunker. I suspect that they focus on those bait fish.... and will not necessarily pick up a sand eel fly being stripped along the bottom.

A little late for a reply I 'm afraid, just saw the post.

I just got back from Assategue and asked the same questions about shore casting

( I am a Great Lakes Trout guy so all advice is second hand)

I was told orange or yellow over white and Copper, Copper, Copper, and if I was to remember one thing it was COPPER Flashaboo in clousers etc.

A trip down to The Salasbury Flyshop might be worth your while.

Mason Huffman, the owner knows his stuff and if he does't talk your ear off, you will leave with a mission. I found a lot of eager advice from the boys on Tidal fish board as well ( Virginia angler and fly board) Not that the boys here have not lent a hand)

When I was there the winds and surf pretty much restricted me to casting hunks of bunker on a telephone pole with 6 - 1oz weights to hold bottom.

A 6lb Bluefish and a small Striper were the rewards ( but wish they had been on the fly)

Cheers

DuFf

Where exactly is the Salisbury Fly Shop.We are coming from Pittsburgh and travel down Route 50. It would have to be close to the main highway for us to stop. Did you fish the Ocean City surf at all? That is what I would have fished- Assateague can be pretty nasty with the wind. Did you by any chance stop at Oyster Bay Tackle Shop. I read their site all the time and just wondered if your Bluefish was on their photo gallery.

gun_bandana.gif gunsmilie.gif

On Shore, It looks like you have an ordinary monofilament tippet. Is this true? I though you needed a wire to keep them from cutting the line with their teeth.