Fly Tying
niveker

Odd, Strange, Unique Objects, in the woods and on the water...

Suspect an old property boundary marker... common in New England to have iron rods driven into rocks as corner markers. Not sure how it came to be bent unless there was a flood and ice jam one spring. Is the iron rod bent downstream? Today one sees property markers as rods in dirt and rectangular granite markers with a cross on top for more modern subdivisions. My surveyor friend tells me in New England the markers and the property description in the deed often do not match, anything from measurement errors and use of magnetic North instead of true North. Hence the markers are generally used as the final arbiter. Probably a never-ending source of revenue for lawyers...

An abandoned mill building along one of the rivers I fish, probably textile related.  

Image303.jpg

Image302.jpg

18 hours ago, Ephemerella said:

Suspect an old property boundary marker... common in New England to have iron rods driven into rocks as corner markers. Not sure how it came to be bent unless there was a flood and ice jam one spring. Is the iron rod bent downstream?  My surveyor friend tells me in New England the markers and the property description in the deed often do not match, anything from measurement errors and use of magnetic North instead of true North. Hence the markers are generally used as the final arbiter. Probably a never-ending source of revenue for lawyers...

Yes the rod is pointing down stream.  

When my Father in Law purchased his Massachusetts farm in 1968 the deed said "30 less or more acres".  In 1982 he had is land surveyed for tax purposes he learned he had 85 and a few acres had been logged.  My wife asked her dad back then if he was going to seek legal recourse against the people responsible.  He said "Nope, last night I went to bed thinking I owned 30 acres and today I own 85, it's been a good day, why ruin it with lawyers"?  Smart man-

Had a bit of free time between jobs one day this week, so I stopped at a pull-out to have a look-see at the small stream.  A few hundred feet down the path I came across this chair, 

IMG-20220601-151252a.jpg

and a mirror mounted to the tree directly opposite

IMG-20220601-151258a.jpg

Nice bit of brookie water, though:

IMG-20220601-151407a.jpg

On 5/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, DFoster said:

Cool-  I can't imagine getting into trouble in there at all when I was a kid!

LOL - yeah, there would have been a few trips to the Doc for stitches and tetanus if that was around when we were kids.  

2 hours ago, niveker said:

A few hundred feet down the path I came across this chair, 

IMG-20220601-151252a.jpg

Maleficent's make-up area?

aluminum-hatch.jpg

Camp boats?

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

Camp boats?

Not uncommon to come across a canoe stashed in the woods of Maine near a lake, the real prize is finding the paddle to go with. 

36 minutes ago, flytire said:

nope no camps in that area or around the pond

Where's it at, I got an electric trolling motor, I'll meet you there. Bring a bunch of Clousers, the bass are smacking them at my lake. 

On 6/4/2022 at 8:58 AM, niveker said:

Had a bit of free time between jobs one day this week, so I stopped at a pull-out to have a look-see at the small stream.  A few hundred feet down the path I came across this chair, 

IMG-20220601-151252a.jpg

IMG-20220601-151258a.jpg

Nice bit of brookie water, though:

IMG-20220601-151407a.jpg

Ok that's a new one for me.. Maybe an "artist" goes there to contemplate life or commune with the Fairy Folk?  Saturday I guy came down a path along the river who was having a whole conversation with his wood walking cane.  This guy was only in his 20's and most people his age use modern trekking poles not wood canes.  Mental illness or hallucinogenic drugs?  I don't know but I kept an eye on him until he moved on.  There are some odd people out there folks.

The rowboats pic reminds me of Pittsburg, NH. All the lodges and a few private owners have boats at many of the ponds which are off the beaten path. The trees in your pic look like spruce or fir, and the American flag in the background is reminiscent of the monument for one of the locals at Coon Brook Bog.