Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Pics from our first two ice fishing trips this year.

Looks like a fun couple of trips.  My sister and brother-in-law just moved up to Fairbanks.  He's dead set on getting me up to ice fish at some point, but I think I'm going to hold off until at least next winter for that.  I'll probably shoot for an early September trip this year.  And consider visiting for an ice fishing trip at some point after that.

Chris

4 hours ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

Looks like a fun couple of trips.  My sister and brother-in-law just moved up to Fairbanks.  He's dead set on getting me up to ice fish at some point, but I think I'm going to hold off until at least next winter for that.  I'll probably shoot for an early September trip this year.  And consider visiting for an ice fishing trip at some point after that.

Chris

What are their names? Stop by my store and say "Hi" when you get up here. The Cutting Edge

That's what i call ice fishing in style, you're in a t-shirt, nice setup and nice fish. What do i see there, is that a drill with a hogger bit?

1 hour ago, upnorthtier said:

That's what i call ice fishing in style, you're in a t-shirt, nice setup and nice fish. What do i see there, is that a drill with a hogger bit?

That's an ice auger made to put in a cordless drill. The hardest part is holding the drill. It's an Eskimo Pistol Drill. No more lugging a heavy gas auger around. It drills 40 inches of ice in 17 seconds.

17 hours ago, upnorthtier said:

I'm surprised you don't have a side handle on that drill, if that bit ever catches you could break an arm.

I used a side handle all season last season (thirty five trips or so). Whenever the auger grabbed it wrenched my wrist so bad It hurt for the next week, till it was time to go fishing again.

The first trip this year I left it at home by mistake and made do without it. For some reason, drilling is easier without the side handle with my left hand on the handle of the drill and my right hand on the top of the drill motor (at the center of the arch that the spinning drill would make). So far, I've had no problems. I can't explain it but it works better this way. I'm going to give it some more time and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

is Mark 9’ tall and weighs about 70 pounds

I didn't want to say anything, sometime's I'm not so sure my comments are taken as jokes, but I was wondering who that skinny Santa looking guy was also.  

On 1/30/2022 at 8:56 AM, MuskyFlyGuy said:

Is it just my phone or is Mark 9’ tall and weighs about 70 pounds?

23 hours ago, niveker said:

I didn't want to say anything, sometime's I'm not so sure my comments are taken as jokes, but I was wondering who that skinny Santa looking guy was also.  

For some reason the system fit the pictures into the width of the screen. I kind of like it that way so I left it. Makes the fish look shorter though. If only I could squish everything except the fish.

niveker, don't worry about the jokes, yer my bud. Just don't call me a bad fisherman. I prefer "Fishin' Magician".😁

On 1/27/2022 at 4:07 PM, Mark Knapp said:

What are their names? Stop by my store and say "Hi" when you get up here. The Cutting Edge

Sorry.  Just noticed your reply.

Brian and Emily Constantino.  I believe their new place may officially be in North Pole not Fairbanks.  He's never really ice fished before, so it will be interesting if he does decide to take it up.

And I'll certainly make a point of stopping by when we make it up.

Chris

15 hours ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

Sorry.  Just noticed your reply.

Brian and Emily Constantino.  I believe their new place may officially be in North Pole not Fairbanks.  He's never really ice fished before, so it will be interesting if he does decide to take it up.

And I'll certainly make a point of stopping by when we make it up.

Chris

If I bump into them, I'll say hi.