Fly Tying
flytire

Fishing opportunities

between daytona beach south to edgewater florida

a move down to florida may be in the future

i know there will be no freshwater trout fishing but what could i encounter?

i have no boat nor am i intending on getting a boat at my age

thanks in advance

norm

You'll be down in my neck of the woods.

The hard part is deciding what you want to fish for, reds and trout (the kind with speckles and fangs) on the flats, snook and large red fish in the river. Bluefish, Spanish mackeral, bluefish, and jacks at the jetties (along with snook and reds). Bass and panfish in the freshwater ponds. Tarpon off the beach and in the deeper creeks and ponds. 

To the north you have the marshes of the Tomoka Basin and river, Daytona has the intracostal river and deeper water, Ponce Inlet gets you to the Ocean, Spruce Creek is a series of creeks and marsh in the vicinity of Ponce Inlet, New Symrna/Edgewater goes back to flats with the river channel available as well, and a little further south is Mosquito Lagoon/Indian River/Banana river.

There are lots of shorebound access, but to be able to truly explore the area I would recommend looking into a simple kayak.

I have lived in the Daytona area going on 24 years now. Send me a message when you get down this way and i'd be happy to help you out getting set. Welcome to the salt. 

567447514_1CF867B8-3FAB-4384-93AB-0C1560776195(1).JPEG.645304e07017828e582295afcb282625.JPEGFEF4B11C-5A86-44ED-90AE-7264E1822769.JPEG.4784c5ddba4adddb1e6a42779e6c5912.JPEG254057955_FE816F2F-1536-48D0-8FC6-5DAB375B0852(2).JPEG.ad9a02493372a27ff548740eebbbf198.JPEG894357EC-BC3E-4E5D-A524-8CCC738994F7.JPEG.6195a23db22590d6a9c0172a67096030.JPEG1385782735_IMG_0447(3).JPG.5c40a8e42cd3e652307e358e194bb2ac.JPG

wow thanks for the information

SNOW_GIL_BANDS2-10.png?resize=876,492

i dont know how many more snow strorms i can take at my age (norwich area)

Snow or cold never bothered me. Born and raised in Ohio. Working on my eighth decade on Earth.

11 hours ago, flytire said:

wow thanks for the information

SNOW_GIL_BANDS2-10.png?resize=876,492

i dont know how many more snow strorms i can take at my age (norwich area)

That's a lot at once. I was just complaining about another 12" here. Good luck. 

The great thing about Florida is that something  can be caught in just about any body of water. Including any pond, canal, ditch, or mud puddle. Lots of good suggestions from chasing tails. And you’d be right next door to Mike..

When I’m not taking the boat out, or if I only have a little time, a simple drive down the street to a canal bank or residential pond can be a lot of fun with a fly rod. Largemouth and bluegill are pretty much everywhere in the fresh side.

I can’t say much about the salt, but you’d be right on the coast. I’m sure if the move did happen you should be able to find some easy access to either salt or fresh close by.  I’m 3 hours south west and would be honored to put you on some big copperhead gills if you did migrate this way. Peacock in Palm Beach are about the same distance also

Speaking of peacocks (the fish, not the bird)... if you make the move and you ever have occasion to come south for a day or two down to my area, south Florida... Every bit of freshwater holds a variety of opportunities in canals, ditches, ponds, etc.  and a fair amount of it can be fished from the bank...  Along with peacock bass we have lots of exotics - fish that look like panfish on steroids (or some kind of chemical..) like oscars,  mayan cichlids, snakeheads, along with the usual more normal freshwater bass, bream, etc.  Just to spice things up a bit some of our freshwater canals, if they're close to saltwater will also have the occasional saltwater fish like snook or tarpon... 

As already noted a kayak or small car topper skiff can greatly expand your access - but anglers on foot do pretty well with just a rod and a few flies or popping bugs... Lots of opportunities - some in very un-likely places like an urban canal right behind a shopping center...

Come on down... remember as well that along with DIY stuff you'll find a great variety of fishing guides to do any kind of fishing you're interested in.... (anyone interested in what I offer... an email request to [email protected] will get you a brochure by return mail...).

You'd be right there with Utyer, too.  I don't do salt, but if you can spend a few hours in a john boat, I'd be happy to take you out onto the St. Johns River or other fresh water bodies.  Plenty of Sunfish species and Florida Strain Largemouth bass to chase.

Getting out of cold weather areas is why I live down here, too.  It's a windy 40 degrees F right now, and that is frigid conditions to me, now.  But I still don't have to shovel any of that nasty white cloud poop.

I live in Orlando, and usually fish the Indian River or Mosquito Lagoons.  Unfortunately, they have gotten so dirty there is no site fishing.  I switched to walking the dikes around the Indian River Lagoon and catch Small (ok baby,) tarpon, Snook, Redfish, Sea Trout, and Lady fish all over.  The water in the retention ponds is cleaner than the lagoons.  Surf fishing with a fly rod is also a productive way to fish.  For fresh water, follow Mike's advice, there are many lakes and ponds that have bass and pan fish.  Not many (but some,) can be accessed from shore or better still a kayak.  

There is a Shad spawning run on the St Johns River every year.  It begins in LATE November, and extends through February into March.  The St Johns has some walk in access, but its a 2 mile plus walk in.  On the Econlockhatchee ( a tributary to the St Johns, there is easier walk in access.  Fly fishing for Shad is good on both rivers south of Lake Harney and Rout 46.  

PM me and I can provide further details.  I grew up across the Sound in central Long Island.  Left there in 57 for Utah.  

Dang!  That must have sucked. 

We ran out of propane a few years back in the middle of the Winter.  For years I was heating almost exclusively with wood, and that season I was just too busy, so we were using more propane than normal.  Must have threw their scheduling off and I never really thought about checking the level. They were there within an hour or two, though.  

Glad you're warm again.   

On 1/29/2022 at 12:36 AM, caloosa bug said:

The great thing about Florida is that something  can be caught in just about any body of water. Including any pond, canal, ditch, or mud puddle. Lots of good suggestions from chasing tails. And you’d be right next door to Mike..

When I’m not taking the boat out, or if I only have a little time, a simple drive down the street to a canal bank or residential pond can be a lot of fun with a fly rod. Largemouth and bluegill are pretty much everywhere in the fresh side.

I can’t say much about the salt, but you’d be right on the coast. I’m sure if the move did happen you should be able to find some easy access to either salt or fresh close by.  I’m 3 hours south west and would be honored to put you on some big copperhead gills if you did migrate this way. Peacock in Palm Beach are about the same distance also

Reminds me of the time I was in the Odessa area. My sales call was in an industrial park. It came out that the guys would fish during lunch in a small pond behind the plant. Record was an 8 lb. LM bass.