Fly Tying
MuskyFlyGuy

Tying materials succession plan

Norm has been very impressive downsizing tying materials and supplies. As I am in my mid 70s, I realized a couple of years ago that I am no longer able to walk the trout streams. What to do with the materials and supplies?  Not wanting my son to ultimately have to figure out what to do with them, several years ago I started sending trout materials to vicrider to distribute on his Christmas swap. That swap is impressive and creates a lot of good will and I want to support Nick and his efforts. It is hard to accept the reality and cut the cord on the trout stuff, but as I face it, Nick will be getting more boxes from me. All my musky and bass flies and tying supplies  will be going to a friend, who is a guide. He is young and will use them for decades. Does anyone have a succession plan for their materials?  I do not dwell on it, but understand the inevitability. 
Tom

My plan was to die the day that I my fly supplies run out!

Actually, mine are set for donations to a youth program and 3 fly tying not-for-profits.  I know that there will be a lot because when I was in my early 20's I would buy "a lifetime supply" of something I needed.  Forty+ years later I'm still buying the same amount FORGETING that I have 40 less years to tie with them!

Well, as they say - "He who dies with the most toys wins!"

Kim

None of my relatives fly fish or tie flies so the rest of my fly fishing gear and tying materials will probably go in a trash bin when they clean out my estate 

I shall leave that decision to those i leave behind. They can keep, trash, donate or, if they need the money they can sell it. The choice is theirs. I trust them to do what’s right for themselves. 

Have no idea what to do with all my tying materials (you could literally stock a fly shop with what I've collected over the years, buying feathers by the pound, tails by the hundred and hooks by the thousand per size..). I'm guessing my place will look like locusts visited -- if it's anything like death sales I've attended down here in paradise years past.... Seems like everyone likes a bargain and someone will have one heck of a yard sale... for this or that.  If I'm ever forced to leave the water and am no longer able to fill orders... then I'll be the one running that rummage sale... 

Kids are another matter.... I've never charged a penny for demonstrations or talks if it's for kids (and got in a quiet dispute with the IGFA when they wanted me to donate my time - while still charging kids to attend... ).  To this day I'm still the guy who will fix a kid's reel, or rod - for free if I can (but they have to bring a parent with them when they come.. ).

Thinking back on all those years since I got my first job on a boat (1973....) it's been a heck of a ride and i hope it's not ending very soon at all... 

I've been slowly planting the fly fishing/tying seed with my 6 grandchildren.  Just one sprout will solve that problem for me, if not..... 

Capture.PNG.c118cdb4a515463574346233f34fd505.PNG 

To this day I will never forget the care package you sent to me !!!!  To this day I'm still grateful and try to pay it forward as much as I can ....

Thank you so much for what you are doing !!!

Steve Shafer- stabgnid

18 hours ago, FliesbyNight said:

They can put all my gear in the longboat with me, push it out into the bay and shoot the flaming arrow.

Viking Funeral.jpg

AFTER you are dead, I assume!

On 2/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, WWKimba said:

AFTER you are dead, I assume!

@WWKimba

Well, that is my plan but She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed might have other ideas, especially once my spring materials order gets here. She has offered once or thrice.