Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
patze003

Help with hook identification?

Hello Fly Tying Forum,

Could I please have some help identifying the hooks in these photos. Admittedly these are great looking flies and I have some on order, but I am trying to replicate some of the style myself, particularly hooks that will take an orange brass cone like the one pictured. Questions are:

1) Hook type?

2) Hook size?

3) Orange brass cone size?

-many thanks.

It's hard to tell just looking at hook bend.  My guess is a standard stainless salt water hook.  Tiemco, Mustad, Gamakatsu, Daiichi, and other brands make them.  Size, most likely size 4, could be a size 6 or even a size 2.  Cone size, I don't use them, but I would say a small or medium.

You best bet would be to wait till you get the flies you ordered, then take one a part.  That way you can compare the hook to what's available online or in your local fly shop.  Same with the cone head.

Looked at the photo shown - and it's definitely a stainless hook... but then I looked at his other photos - and none of them are on that hook type... Here's a pic of the one conehead fly I've been doing recently for comparison... It's on a Mustad 34007 1/0 hook (very standard saltwater hook for fly tying...) and it has the largest brass conehead that Wapsi sells..  That conehead is just big enough to slide over the hook's barb (and occasionally I have to crimp the barb just a bit to make it fit....

8ySuFCp.jpg

hnSDgGF.jpg