Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Confidence Fly Swap - SWAP IS FULL!

All right folks, all flies are present and accounted for! I will get the sets sorted out and on their way back to all of you asap! I will post here after mailing them -- should be tomorrow, but no later than Saturday. :) 

Status update on the fly sets--the good news is that they are all packaged up and ready to go. See?

20220403_223903.thumb.jpg.7eb74658d4095ea3c8c67a14ac6fb73b.jpg

The bad news (for me) is that, when I finished getting them all packaged up and ready to go, I came back into my office and saw this. (Those would be my own flies, which I forgot to include when I was doing the distribution. Ugh! 

20220403_223952.thumb.jpg.501eb236d04bf9586e9d93b74866d0c0.jpg

So...rather than re-opening all the envelopes and re-sealing them, I will go ahead and mail them out, as-is, tomorrow. I will then send each of you my fly in a separate, first-class envelope. 

Sorry for the oversight -- but have no fear, your complete fly set is coming, just in two envelopes instead of one. :)

If that were me I'd just cut a slice in the topside of the envelope and slide your bug in, then throw a piece of tape over it. Still easier than packaging and addressing and sending them separately. If it took an extra day for you to get them out no big deal.

1 hour ago, vicrider said:

If that were me I'd just cut a slice in the topside of the envelope and slide your bug in, then throw a piece of tape over it. Still easier than packaging and addressing and sending them separately. If it took an extra day for you to get them out no big deal.

Yeah, maybe I was overthinking it. I'll get the packing tape oit and get everything out tomorrow. Thanks Nick.🙂

I'd love to see some photos, if anyone is so inclined when they get their sets

Flies have been mailed! I want to thank everyone who participated -- I can honestly say this has been my favorite of the swaps I've hosted. 🙂

Okay, I think you guys will enjoy this...

As I mentioned yesterday, I dropped the fly sets off at the P.O. here in little Whitehall, MI. The lobby was closed for their meal break, so I decided to just drop them in the drop box outside. I did notice that I had to force some of them a little bit to get them through the slot, but I figured, hey, if it fits, it goes, right? Well, actually NO, as it turns out...

So I'm sitting here at my desk at home this afternoon, working away, when I see a car coming up my driveway. My house sits almost 1/4 mile off the main road, so anyone who comes down my driveway is generally there on purpose. As I was not expecting anyone today, and it being a relatively nice day, I walked outside to greet my visitor, a very small red-haired woman bearing several large envelopes that looked immediately familiar. 

This was none other than the Postmaster of Whitehall, MI, come to my very doorstep to inform me that the packages I had unceremoniously deposited in the drop-box were all more than 1/4" thick, and thus, according to federal law, could not be placed in the dropbox. They would, she went on, ALL be sent to a Dead Mail facility (that's not the real name, but it was something sinister-sounding like that) unless I could present myself in person at the P.O. today--it had to be TODAY, because federal law also stipulated that packages detained for this reason could not spend more than 24 hours in the P.0.--and verify the contents and recipient of each. YIKES! 

So, because I like you guys so much--and because you all have my address now and I did not wish to be dragged from my bed in the wee hours by an angry mob of fly tyers--I hustled myself up to the P.O.. and did what had to be done, and I am here to tell you --again...and hopefully for the last time--that your flies are on their way! 😄 

I simply can't get over the fact that the Postmaster took time out of her day to get in her car and DRIVE TO MY HOUSE to help me sort this problem out! That just blows me away -- talk about benefits of small-town living! But it gets better -- as I'm at the P.O., verifying packages, I'm telling the Postmaster how impressed I was with her dedication, and she says, "Well, I didn't want you to lose all those flies." 

I looked up, surprised. "How did you know they were trout flies?" I asked.

"Well," she said, "One of the envelopes said 'Confidence Fly Swap' on it, so I Googled that along with your name, and I found the fly tying website, and it said all about a Confidence Fly Swap, so I figured it was legit!" 

The Postmaster of Whitehall, MI, went on FTF to verify ME and this swap. 

I swear to you, I am not making this up.

Enjoy your Confidence Flies, gentlemen -- they have been well-looked-after indeed. :)

That's a good story, I like that.  

4 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:

dragged from my bed in the wee hours by an angry mob of fly tyers

But, that image really made me laugh

Small town PO is a great thing. Sometimes it an be irritating but for the most part they know you and do their best to help you with any problem. I do think there was a post earlier that specifically told you not to put in drop box. In this thread or another one but I only go to counter with fly envelopes.