Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DenverDonkey

Trade HMH TRV for Dyna King Professional

I have no need for the trade...but I'm curious. What is the issue with the TRV?

I have followed the commentary about the TRV since its introduction, and it has been interesting to say the least.

I have had 3 of them. The first would hold anything from a size 10/0 down to a size 8, but nothing smaller. The second one was good from size 24 up to 2/0. but nothing bigger. I was somewhat puzzled by this and spoke with the powers that be from HMH a number of times. They told me that as a small operation they couldn't just customize the vise to suit each and every tyers need, and with a quiet good natured laugh Jon told me "you classic salmon fly tyers are a pain in the ass".

I believed it was the best thing I have tied on and became determined (obsessed ?!?!) to find one that met my needs. I bought a 3rd vise after a fellow on this site told me he had modified his own TRV in his machine shop to accommodate a full range of hooks and he would be happy to do the same for me. So I bit the bullet and gave it a go. My current modified TRV allows me to tie my classic salmon flies easily up to a 6/0 or 7/0 with the needed protective plastic around the hook. It also will hold a size 24 for tying Trico spinners no problem.

I will add that a fellow at Breton's in Maine told me they had not had one TRV come through the shop that would handle anything larger than a 2/0 in several years.

I still use my Renzetti Master as well and as it stands now my 2 vises are on equal footing with me.

Finally...Norm got rid of his due to personal physical issues making it difficult for him to properly tighten the vise to hold the hooks he uses.

Locked due to rules infraction.  We allow new people to post "want to buy" post before an appropriate amount of posts.  We do not allow selling or trading, however.

Denver Donkey, welcome to the site, if you're staying.  When you reach the appropriate number of posts, you can post this topic on the trading floor or classifieds forum.