Fly Tying
breambuster

Crappie Jigs Anyone?

woodenlegs

You should stop your body at the hook point... also if your using jig heads with a collar cut the lead of right behind the ball and pull it off (it come off very easy) this will make it look more uniform ..

Steve-stabgnid

I agree with everything Stabgnid said. Also, you might want to think about a fuller body, but it should stop no closer to the bend of the hook than the hook point. That assures a better chance at hooking the fish. It would be a good idea to go to YouTube and check out some videos on tying Crappie jigs. There are a ton of them there. Pay special attention to proportions. Notice how the body stops at the hook point. Also notice the length of the tail. That is important also. You don’t want it too long or too short. And notice that most, if not all jigs are tied on a hook without a collar. My mold does only ball head collarless heads. Some people, who only fish the spawn think catching Crappie is easy, but those of us who fish year round know just how hard he is to catch. 

BB

Woodenlegs, are you using Ostrich feathers where I'd tend to use marabou. I really like the looks of that. Agree with the criticism but at same time would use either of those around the brushpiles in a couple of weeks on the local ponds. I'm going to experiment with that for a tail but try going thinner and see how that looks. I am also going to see if I can pick enough 1" feathers off my necks to do some feather jigs in crappie size.

Having worked on my boat and got a brand new 9.9 EFI electric start and power trim outboard for it I'm planning a lot of local pond fishing. My kid took the motor, did a few mods on it and is now the equivalent of the 15 horse which uses same block and ECU and makes a difference in performance but keeps my serial # and tag at the legal 9.9 for some of the lakes.

Woodenlegs, I've never gotten the fuzzy marabou like you have on there. Did you tear off the lower barbules on the main feather to get that look? When I just fold over and tie in a marabou feather I only get straight feathers. I really like yours but mine are soft, wiggly, catch fish, but not near as nice as the marabou you have there. This is what I end up with.

DSCF6703 (2).JPG

6 minutes ago, Woodenlegs said:

16 flies ready to Mail 

Nice, I haven't even nailed down what I'm going to tie - LOL