Fly Tying
breambuster

Crappie Jigs Anyone?

Finally decided on the first pattern last night, a more or less modified pattern I tie up for my spin fishing, crappie loving friend, the gold/tan color works best for him.  

IMG-20220218-110216a.jpg

I bought jigs with collars and a catch.  I was able to get the catch off but, in the interest of keeping BOTH thumbs I used 6X underbody.  It gives me a smooth underbody, fuller body and I keep my thumbs!

Kim

Yeah, that's what I ended up with too Kim. Sad part is I must have a 100 small jigs I poured years ago hiding in the shed but couldn't find them when I needed them so had kid pick up some at Wally World. Maybe I just should have had him pick up little twisters, stuck them on the collar with the hook and said, "There, go catch you crappy crappie". Need to tie some fresh ones for myself since I can't find box with the old ones and plan to do more sand bass and crappie coming up soon.

If you are anything like me you'll find them after you come back from the USPS!😖

Kim

I haven’t tried this, but I saw a YouTube video where a guy had some jig heads with collars, but wanted ball heads. So, he used a pair of large nail clippers, “toenail clippers” and cut through the collar right at the head and then cut the collar lengthwise to get it off the hook. It looked very safe the way he did it and it only took a few seconds. Just an idea.

BB

Never thought of toe nail clippers, I use needle nose pliers with a wire cutter.  

Pretty simple - place the shallow end of the wire cutter against the ball head, gently squeeze until you hit the hook shank, repeat at 90 degrees to the first cut, twist the collar using the pliers,  grab the disconnected collar with pliers parallel to hook shank, squeeze off one side of the collar, the remainder will usually come right off by hand.  Use grooves in plier jaws to smooth out the head.  

IMG-20220222-214102.jpg

IMG-20220222-214131.jpg

IMG-20220222-214207.jpg

IMG-20220222-214222.jpg

IMG-20220222-214311.jpg

IMG-20220222-214336.jpg

IMG-20220222-214355.jpg

IMG-20220222-214446.jpg

IMG-20220222-214459.jpg

Sounds like a good idea BUT I'd still rather wrap a hook shank than my severed thumb!🤪

Kim

Yep. If the fish can figure out there's a collar on there and reject it because of that he's too smart for me to kill and cook anyway.

Flies mailed today - tracking # 9500 1108 4513 2054 4461 27.  Somehow pi figured in the number of flies tied so they go on forever!😉  Thanks for hosting!

Kim

On 2/11/2022 at 9:20 AM, stabgnid said:

I'm in I just order some jig heads and some crinkle powder paint to try !!!!

Steve - stabgnid

Kind of funny Steve but I just sent off my entire lot of jig molds, hot pot and half a dozen powder paints before I found out I can't find my old jig heads anywhere. Kid bought some unpainted for me at Wally World but I ended up painting them with nail polish. Good enough for a crappie and when back to plain lead they'll still work.

12 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Flies mailed today - tracking # 9500 1108 4513 2054 4461 27.  Somehow pi figured in the number of flies tied so they go on forever!😉  Thanks for hosting!

Kim

Back in school I set out to solve PI with paper and pencil and came close but it took 2 and 1/2 trees and Prof made me stop for the sake of the forest..

11 hours ago, vicrider said:

Kind of funny Steve but I just sent off my entire lot of jig molds, hot pot and half a dozen powder paints before I found out I can't find my old jig heads anywhere. Kid bought some unpainted for me at Wally World but I ended up painting them with nail polish. Good enough for a crappie and when back to plain lead they'll still work.

Tying jigs is my first love !! I had a little side gig tying twitching jigs for salmon when I lived in Tacoma Washington..

Steve-stabgnid  

Okay, decided to cut the collar off for the ties on one of the jigs. The guy who showed me how easy it in those pictures should replace the jigs I the hook off. Anyway, have 3 sets of 8 ready to go out hopefully tomorrow. Different strokes for different folks, errrr, fish that is.

9 hours ago, vicrider said:

The guy who showed me how easy it in those pictures should replace the jigs I the hook off.

I knew I should have put a disclaimer on that post.  What do I owe you?