Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Ruger 10/22

This gun started its life as a Ruger 10/22 with a synthetic grey stock and an 18in pencil barrel.

I added a

Kidd Scalloped Bolt

Kidd Charging Assembly and bolt handle

Kidd Heavy Rifle 20 inch Bull Barrel

Kidd Auto Bolt Release

Kidd Extended Magazine Release

Ruger BX-25 trigger group (2.5 lb break)

Magpul X-22 hunter stock

Athalon Scope

On order

CST Titan Receiver

Kidd VBlock

Kidd Threaded Receiver Pins

Once my order comes in, I will have a whole new gun and can reassemble the original,then.....Start another build project. Right now, this gun shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards

Ruger 1022 II.jpg

Ruger 1022.jpg

I've always liked the 10/22 almost bought one many many years ago, now I wish I had of because the price now is 3 times what it was back when I was looking at them. Great looking gun Ken.

Ok after my 10/22 shooting 3 inches low with the new Kidd Receiver and no elevation adjustment left on the scope, I pulled the gun apart and shimmed the barrel on the V-Block. Inside of 15 rounds and a few slight adjustments.

I was getting groups like this. Shooting 10 round groups @50 yards

Also, the original 10/22 is back together and shooting sub one inch groups at 50 yards.

target.jpg

On 2/18/2022 at 2:11 PM, Steeldrifter said:

I've always liked the 10/22 almost bought one many many years ago, now I wish I had of because the price now is 3 times what it was back when I was looking at them. Great looking gun Ken.

1971, my 10/22 cost $55 with a scope. Got $5 off due to a cent in the stock. A friend in high school (1962-1965) showed me an article in a gun magazine that the naval academy bought 10/22s and converted them for the rifle team. Fixed right, the will drive tacks at 50m.

I'm happy with the groups this gun  is shooting, but what tickled me was the reassembled 10/22 that I started with, is shooting nice groups as well. It never shot quite that tight a group when I first got it

I was in the grade 8 rifle club.  On Wednesdays we would take our .22 rifles and a box of ammo to school on the bus and store them in our locker until last period for a drive to the local indoor range with a weird geography teacher/club leader.  Mostly Browning and Winchester bolt actions as I remember.  They do it differently today. 

I was on the high school rifle team in Brooklyn, NY. We had Remington 513T and Winchester 52 models. Our school was built by the WPA, had a scaled down Olympic swimming pool and a 50 foot 6 station smallbore range. At the end of the year, we would pull down all the spent lead from the backstops. Teacher would cash it at the scrap yard and throw a big pizza party. Often wonder what happened to those rifles.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:14 AM, skeet3t said:

I was on the high school rifle team in Brooklyn, NY. We had Remington 513T and Winchester 52 models. Our school was built by the WPA, had a scaled down Olympic swimming pool and a 50 foot 6 station smallbore range. At the end of the year, we would pull down all the spent lead from the backstops. Teacher would cash it at the scrap yard and throw a big pizza party. Often wonder what happened to those rifles.

What school was that?  I'm an old Brooklyn boy from way back. 

7 hours ago, Sandan said:

What school was that?  I'm an old Brooklyn boy from way back. 

Grover Cleveland HS, Ridgewood, NY. Not far from Maspeth, Queens. I lived in Elmhurst.

17 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Grover Cleveland HS, Ridgewood, NY. Not far from Maspeth, Queens. I lived in Elmhurst.

Aha. I lived in Flatbush. 

5 hours ago, Sandan said:

Ah, yes. Lot of the old WWII movies had a guy from Flatbush. William Bendix (youngsters will need to Google him) had a blackjack. "That's not army issue." Replied, "That's Flatbush issue!"

Just now, skeet3t said:

Ah, yes. Lot of the old WWII movies had a guy from Flatbush. William Bendix (youngsters will need to Google him) had a blackjack. "That's not army issue." Replied, "That's Flatbush issue!"

Great quote. 

On 3/23/2022 at 12:51 PM, Sandan said:

Adding: I finished a book. "1776," that dealt with the early days of the American Revolution. Lots of it was in Eastern Pennsylvania, New York City and Western Long Island. I got a laugh about a description of Flatbush: a small Dutch settlement.