Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Starting garden plants

35 varieties of peppers this year, not counting the ones overwintered. Will be growing in 5 gallon buckets here at the house, and the rest of our vegetables are being planted at my in-laws property 1/4 mile away. 

20220210_200932.jpg

Great start of the season. Like Mark, it will be a while before we can start seeds here. DFD, can you elaborate on your uses of 35 different types of peppers?  This will be our second year of reducing the vegetable garden and having two raspberry gardens. 

Experimenting with flavors and preservation methods. Last year I mostly did hot peppers and made fermented hot sauces, along either drying for flakes and powder. Made habanero salt. 

This year I have more sweet and roasting type peppers. My wife and I picked some of the varieties because they looked cool from an ornamental standpoint, whether growing or ripened and on a plate. We have some form of pepper with nearly every meal.

Some of this year's varieties:

3 varieties of jalapeños for yellow and orange rather than just red when ripened. (Smoke these for chipotle)

A heatless habanero since I love the flavor but not everyone can handle that heat level.

Some hatch chiles given to me by a patient, will harvest green or red for powder to make sauce(stuffed sopaipillas!)

Cayenne for powder or flakes

Tobago for jerk seasoning

A couple of albino or cream colored peppers for white chili(father in law has a meat allergy from tick bite)

DFD

Thanks for taking the time to explain. You have a very impressive utilization of those 🌶. We make a bunch of frozen and canned items and get to enjoy them throughout the winter. 
Tom