Jump to content
Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Getting ready for Lake Havasu

Recommended Posts

That looks like a great time Mark I'm glad you enjoyed it. Looks like all them fish have been eating really well and haven't missed any meals!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, Steeldrifter said:

That looks like a great time Mark I'm glad you enjoyed it. Looks like all them fish have been eating really well and haven't missed any meals!

Yep, it was a great time. The fish are fed well and it makes them a little harder to catch. Besides the quagga mussels, there are lots of shad and invasive, orange swamp crayfish in the lake.

While I was fly casting during the first two days, the other two guys using drop shots and worms only had three bites a day between them. Tough fishing to be sure. It picked up after the water warmed up, the last day we ended up with 10 fish in the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those big blue gills aren’t as stupid as some think. Still a great fishing trip and one I wouldn’t have thought of doing. I’m adding it to my list of things to do when I visit Arizona again so thanks for the reports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Those big blue gills aren’t as stupid as some think. Still a great fishing trip and one I wouldn’t have thought of doing. I’m adding it to my list of things to do when I visit Arizona again so thanks for the reports. 

You really should, it is a blast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2022 at 9:02 PM, Mark Knapp said:

You really should, it is a blast.

Hey Mark it looks like a great trip!  Just curious do you not have any sunfish in Alaska?  Here they are everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DFoster said:

Hey Mark it looks like a great trip!  Just curious do you not have any sunfish in Alaska?  Here they are everywhere.

No, we have no bass, sunfish or walleye. Fishing for sunfish is one thing that I really miss about living in Alaska.

The thing about Havasu sunfish is that they are huge, the last four world records were from there. 17 1/2 inches long was the biggest. We caught a 15 incher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

No, we have no bass, sunfish or walleye. Fishing for sunfish is one thing that I really miss about living in Alaska.

The thing about Havasu sunfish is that they are huge, the last four world records were from there. 17 1/2 inches long was the biggest. We caught a 15 incher.

Wow nice fish- My personal best Bluegill was 10".  I had no clue that there were no Bass or Walleye either.  Well it looks like you make up for them with  Rainbow Trout, Salmon and Grayling from what I've seen in your post.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally found this post Mark. Great catch even if was not what you hoped for there is such a thing as getting skunked on a trip and you didn't do that. I live in western OK near TX line and I've been here 11 years. This is the windiest spring I can remember and most of the natives say it's unusual not to even get some quiet days mixed in. Like you said, 15-25 with gusts to 40 common and a few runs of 60-70 mph thrown in. Have a pond a friend introduced me too but can't fly fish it for the wind. Same with trying to get a boat in this spring. What trout I caught in the pond were on UL spin and hope to get some fly tossing in yet since water stays much colder in there than most ponds OK stocks with trout.

Hope your trip next year goes as good as you hope it will. Just for fun, what is the elevation of Lake Havasu? I'm limited to a max of about 3000' thanks to lungs needing extra air.

Great pics, Nick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I still plan on fishing Havasu next year, for a month, by my self mostly. We'll see what the Docs say. (Ps I am building a boat for there.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...