Fly Tying
Woodenlegs

San Juan River NM

Was there last year around the end of March. Stayed at Rizzuto's cause Abe's is permanently closed. This year we're gonna stay in durango. The room at Rizzuto's was kinda gross. That being said the Friday afternoon we got there the dry fly fishing was off the charts. We hit the kiddy pool just to see what was good on and there were risers ask over the place. Week rule number one is never leave rising fish to find rising fish. We stayed until dark. Hooking up all the time. Saturday and Sunday were blue sky and sunny. So it was nymphing all day both days. Caught some really nice fish and a bunch of others. Where the river was braided the water was pretty clear but the main stem was a bit off color. Well head down there again sometime in mid to end of March, but either before the lake turns over or a couple of weeks after. Too much snot in the water otherwise. Though now after reading Jay's report we might want until the water clarity improves. 

On 2/28/2022 at 4:24 PM, Woodenlegs said:

I’m going April 23rd staying at the Enchanted Lodge 

We're still up in the air as to dates. But, I like the look of that lodge. Have you ever been before?

On 2/28/2022 at 4:24 PM, Woodenlegs said:

I’m going April 23rd staying at the Enchanted Lodge 

Glad you were able to stay there.  I called this lodge for several days on the first of June and no one EVER picked up the phone or returned left messages.  Sometimes you could not even leave a message because his phone/mail box was full.

I finally called the Float 'n Fish fly shop and was told that 'he' was probably out on the water.  If this is true then all I have to say that 'he' has a terrible busness plan - have a lodge on the SJR, don't respond to potential client calls, but do go fishing.  He's probably a guide, just like half of San Juan county.  I would love to stay there, but this guy's a class act, IMO.

I was in Santa Fe and was planned to fish the SJ before heading home to southern NM.  Obviously, that never happened.

Since Abe's closed the entire area seems to be one big mess.  A friend of mine who lives in Farmington sent me Abe's real estate listing - $4M!  I wish them well.

Anyway, I will try again to connect with this guy and hope I can get through because I am planning a trip to the SJR in a few weeks or so.  The Enchanted Lodge may be the best place to stay in the area.

Thanks.

I'm shocked beyond belief.

I sent the Enchanted Lodge website an email Saturday evening and today I - finally - heard back from them.  They apologized for the oversight, so I gave them my trip data and hope to hear back from them tomorrow.

Will miracles never cease?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Patriot said:

Will miracles never cease?

Thanks!

Hope springs eternal. The state of NM should buy Abe's, lease it out and take a cut.  It was a sad day that they closed.

@Sandan

Amen, brother!

I've know the Chavez family since the mid-70's when I went to work at the Bloomfield refinery.  Abe was always in the shop.  His wife ran the restaurant.  His son, Tim, had a guide service. The place was a beehive of activity.  Life was good.

Years later Abe got alzheimer's and the next I knew he was in a home, a nephew was managing the restaurant and Tim oversaw everything else.  Jay Walden was hired at some point.  

I did not fish the SJR for years due to my job at the El Paso refinery.  When I did get back up there, things were as I just described.  Business was, IMO, slow, but I assumed that was due to all of the new 'lodges' that had sprung up in the meantime, but I am not certain of that.  In Stephen Meyers' wonderful book -  'San Juan River Chronicles',  he notes the river having "too many friends".   Perhaps those crowds had dissipated by this time.

Then MAY 2022, I called to make reservations and the phone had been disconnected.  Abe's had been closed.  I felt like I'd lost a family member.

We can only hope that someone will purchase it and it will be open once again.  I do know an offer was made, but the Chavez family did not accept it.  The listing had been taken down which I assumed was because it had sold.  Then it was listed anew.  See the 'Executive Summary' on the left.

Hope springs eternal!  Indeed.

Take care.

23 minutes ago, Patriot said:

@Sandan

Amen, brother!

I've know the Chavez family since the mid-70's when I went to work at the Bloomfield refinery.  Abe was always in the shop.  His wife ran the restaurant.  His son, Tim, had a guide service. The place was a beehive of activity.  Life was good.

Years later Abe got alzheimer's and the next I knew he was in a home, a nephew was managing the restaurant and Tim oversaw everything else.  Jay Walden was hired at some point.  

I did not fish the SJR for years due to my job at the El Paso refinery.  When I did get back up there, things were as I just described.  Business was, IMO, slow, but I assumed that was due to all of the new 'lodges' that had sprung up in the meantime, but I am not certain of that.  In Stephen Meyers' wonderful book -  'San Juan River Chronicles',  he notes the river having "too many friends".   Perhaps those crowds had dissipated by this time.

Then MAY 2022, I called to make reservations and the phone had been disconnected.  Abe's had been closed.  I felt like I'd lost a family member.

We can only hope that someone will purchase it and it will be open once again.  I do know an offer was made, but the Chavez family did not accept it.  The listing had been taken down which I assumed was because it had sold.  Then it was listed anew.  See the 'Executive Summary' on the left.

Hope springs eternal!  Indeed.

Take care.

I didn't know about the Alzheimer's. Abe was always in the shop and his family was always in the restaurant. Jay was/is an interesting guy to talk to.  I'm not sure about the crowds now but the way NM handled covid was probably a huge factor in the closing. Talk about draconian. My fishing buddy and I had the same phone disconnected message and it was to put it mildy, disappointing.  We were totally bummed out about it. We stayed, as I mentioned , at rizzuto's. What a dump. I'll check out the "Chronicles".  Do me a favor and let me know how Enchanted Lodge is if it works out. And of course a fishing report would be great.

@Sandan

As I type I am waiting for a rep of the Enchanted Lodge (EL) to call me so I can lock in a week in late SEP.  At the moment, the temps up there range from 95º-100ºF.  I'll pass fishing in those temps.  I much prefer fishing in OCT and NOV.  I once fished in DEC but the wind froze my line in the ferrules, so that didn't work so well.

I will get back to you after the rep calls me.

42 minutes ago, Patriot said:

@Sandan

As I type I am waiting for a rep of the Enchanted Lodge (EL) to call me so I can lock in a week in late SEP.  At the moment, the temps up there range from 95º-100ºF.  I'll pass fishing in those temps.  I much prefer fishing in OCT and NOV.  I once fished in DEC but the wind froze my line in the ferrules, so that didn't work so well.

I will get back to you after the rep calls me.

Way too hot at those temps. Had some of the best dry fly fishing last year end of Sept to end of Oct. in the evenings. Blue wings and pseudocloeons(sp?) came off the water in waves. Fish were holding and rising. Thanks for keeping me posted.

@Sandan

OK, the EL rep finally called and I am now booked for a week at the end of SEP.  She said they were busy so I suppose a lot of folks don't mind the high temps.  I wish them well.

Thanks!