Fly Tying
Johnw1986

Postage for fly swaps

With postage going up it seems more feasible to make the list longer, maybe more like 15-20 min tiers per swap? This would give you more bang for your buck if you consider it’s costing around $10 per package. Let’s see what you guys think and maybe consider it on the next swaps. Just an idea, let me know what you guys think.

1 hour ago, Johnw1986 said:

Or 12 tiers tying 2 patterns each? Just a thought

Nope

My limit is still 12 flies 

1x12 or 2x6

Its really up to each swapmeister to make the rules for their swap.

More than 12 I don't sign up and if more than 12 want to join I'll opt out or give my spot to someone who want in

Sorry John, I understand your thinking but I'm with the guys who feel it should be capped at 12. If some, like I do on certain swaps, throw in an extra great but a 12 count is max. Bryon had a recent swap with 13 and that last fly just had a hard time coming off the vise.  As mod I discourage swaps going over 12 and will not get in one that does unless the rare case of someone really wanting in and going the extra fly. Even then I've dropped out and let someone have my spot who had a hot fly just for that swap to tie and missed the sign up. The recent mixup on the "Wear a dress" swap was an example of one that had 6 tiers, 2 flies each was perfect, then changes brought in extra flies needed. Again, not a good swap for this board and only because it was a mixup type of thing we let it fly.

Flytier, you are correct in that each Swapmeister can make his rules for the swap, WITHIN REASON. Personally the moderator (oh that's me) has a say also and I say a dozen is a good place to call it full. Like you say, 1x2 or 2x6 but total a dozen unless tier wants to add extra and then he should kick in for swapmeister OR bring enough for everybody. You streamer on this last swap was a thing of beauty. Have never been able to lay down a body with the smoothness you do on a regular basis.

I agree and set a 6 minimum and 12 maximum limits.  I'm willing to go up 1 swapper in a very limited number of cases.  I can just share my fly if someone had already sent 12.  I run these things so I keep busy enough to keep my picture off the post office walls.

Kim

On Facebook there are a lot of ads in the  Classified I look at at times for Forever stamps at half the price of PO. How is that possible? Illegally printing their own and advertising on Social Media? Would seem like if they're not real it would be a Federal Offense to sell them and I'm afraid to say use them. There is a way with UV light to tell if the stamps are legit but the PO in town not only didn't have a UV light (we do for our UV tying). I'm tempted to get those rolls of 100 Forever stamps for $25 and I have a good mail scale and sheet of costs per weight on packages. I don't want to have to move to a country without extradition agreements though unless it has good fishing.

I've been using Pirateship.com for packages and have been very happy with it. My guess is the USPS outsources to retail suppliers at wholesale prices, and they are able to run the retail sale end cheaper than the USPS.