Fly Tying
cphubert

Starting Over

After a strange year or two and some soul searching I am starting anew. Loosing close friends, both 2 and 4 legged sent me on a wanderlust journey, I am fortunate my wife understands or a least pretends too after my history of deployments. I have not tied a fly since summer, the bench accumulated dust and still remains unused, but I returned with a new friend I found, actually to be honest searched for, so far he likes spending time with me and ice fishing. Afraid to let him near the bench or closet with his keen interest in feathers. Hopefully with time he will be a gun dog, fish dog riding in the canoe and wading alongside. Time to buckle down for training and getting back to the bench after a good cleaning.

bear.html

bear.jpg

OH boy, what a nice looking puppy.  Here's to a long and happy friendship. Life without a buddy is not a life.

Nothing like a four-legged friend. My son had a Lab for 14 years. For 5 years, he was his college roommate. Many good times for both of you!

Thanks everyone, I had almost forgotten the feed and vet bills, picking up frozen poop, and other parts of ownership. I haven't been this content in a while my better half thinks I should join a dog training group insists that we (dog and I) both need to get socialized to better behave around people.

53 minutes ago, cphubert said:

Thanks everyone, I had almost forgotten the feed and vet bills, picking up frozen poop, and other parts of ownership. I haven't been this content in a while my better half thinks I should join a dog training group insists that we (dog and I) both need to get socialized to better behave around people.

He is beautiful, I'm really happy that you found him and that he found what I'm sure is a good home.  It sounds like your the type of person who will include him as much as possible in your activities.  My wife and I are like that with our dog.  We plan trips to dog friendly places or events.  We take him on hikes, to local breweries that welcome dogs and when possible in the warm weather we patronize restaurants with outside seating that allow dogs.  He's truly part of our family and we literally hate leaving him behind when we're forced too.  

Life is  just better with a dog, good for you!

What's the pups name?

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

What's the pups name?

Outlaw Shadows Glitter Bear or Bear

All my labs names started with Outlaw, shadow was my last lab, and glitter bear is one of my favorite salmon flies.

Norm I copied your web blog page (Flytying: New & Old) picture of the glitter bear please forgive me, but you tie and photograph so well. The other picture is of shadow fishing the Cheticamp River N.S. with me. Our dogs travel and stay with us (RV), fortunately we have never had to kennel one up to this point.

P6130138.JPG

Glitter Bear 600 signed.JPG

15 hours ago, cphubert said:

Outlaw Shadows Glitter Bear or Bear

All my labs names started with Outlaw, shadow was my last lab, and glitter bear is one of my favorite salmon flies.

Norm I copied your web blog page (Flytying: New & Old) picture of the glitter bear please forgive me, but you tie and photograph so well. The other picture is of shadow fishing the Cheticamp River N.S. with me. Our dogs travel and stay with us (RV), fortunately we have never had to kennel one up to this point.

P6130138.JPG

Glitter Bear 600 signed.JPG

Nice!

20 hours ago, cphubert said:

my better half thinks I should join a dog training group insists that we (dog and I) both need to get socialized to better behave around people.

When my current dog was a pup, we were lucky to have a few dog owners in the neighborhood who would get together a few times a week, especially on the week-ends, for a group walk.  We were invited along, and I'm sure it played a good part of him getting socialized with other dogs.  We're lucky enough to be in an area with amply land so we could leave them all off-leash.  That helped also as far as getting him used to staying nearby when on the trail.  I never have to leash him now when we're in the woods.  Unfortunately, the big dope has no trail etiquette and ending up knocking one of the ladies over as he raced up the trail.  That's when we got banished from the group walks. 

And so it goes...

4 hours ago, niveker said:

When my current dog was a pup, we were lucky to have a few dog owners in the neighborhood who would get together a few times a week, especially on the week-ends, for a group walk.  We were invited along, and I'm sure it played a good part of him getting socialized with other dogs.  We're lucky enough to be in an area with amply land so we could leave them all off-leash.  That helped also as far as getting him used to staying nearby when on the trail.  I never have to leash him now when we're in the woods.  Unfortunately, the big dope has no trail etiquette and ending up knocking one of the ladies over as he raced up the trail.  That's when we got banished from the group walks. 

And so it goes...

Should have banished the lady for getting in the way.

17 hours ago, Striperknight said:

I got one that gets crazy when feathers are out. 

Yep, I have a gated entrance to my fly tying bench. Once upon a time we had a little rescue terrier that ate some materials most notably a complete rabbit mask, after a call to our vet she ended up with olive oil in her diet for a while and me following her around the yard until she was clear. I was thankful she never got to my necks or salmon fly materials.