Fly Tying
flytire

DO NOT absentmindedly.....

...turn on the ceiling fan with all types on materials on your tying bench

giphy.gif

marabou fibers are still raining down as i type this

giphy.gif

Squeeze too hard on the UV glue bottle, so that the dispenser tip comes out spilling half the content on your fly, fingers, clothes and floor, specially on the only day in recent history when you had the happy idea of tying outside because it was not so hot and humid but still plenty sunny.

It did not even cross my mind that the glue on the tip would cure the moment I opened the container. You can imagine the rest.

Or walk from the bench, to the garbage can in the kitchen to dump a tray covered in deer hair trimmings. Especially because the living room ceiling fan is centrally located in the pathway.

Also don't get out the fly rod with the celing fan on!

thats what the unlimited stupidity warranty is for

Forgetting what direction the exhaust from the shop-vac is headed before flipping it on to clean up. Sometimes makes more to clean up.

+1 on the Labrador ate half Hungarian partridge skin.....

Cats. I almost murdered ours. Two days after I got a few half necks he somehow got a hold of one of them. And he's learned to open the drawers I keep my feathers in.

HA! I can relate, I find myself blowing air on a finished fly to see the action and all the trimmings go everywhere (that sounds weird but i'm sure ya'll know what I mean).

I just saw Barry Ord Clarke yesterday on Youtube doing the air blow thing on a finished fly. That would never fly on my bench, or rather, everything would fly off my bench.

I've been a garage operator for some years now (after me and all my materials got chased out of the house...). My tying desk is right next to the side door of my two car garage (and my garage has no air conditioning -in south Florida....) so I also have a fan right next to me (my own little sweat shop...). Any time the side door is opened you end up losing a feather or two so I've learned over time not to have much up on top of the desk - keeping all non-essential materials in a tub at my feet for whatever pattern I'm running.

I've also learned a few tricks - one of the best is to keep a small bowl (custard sized) half filled with water on the desk whenever I'm working with maribou (or similar fly-away materials). It only takes a moment to dip the fingers of my serving hand (the one that holds the materials) to dampen them - and with a single pass I can wet down maribou fibers and make them much more manageable in a breeze.

That same small half cup of water is very handy for killing any extra super glue that ends up on my fingers instead of where it belongs. The water immediately kills any gluing properties in un-cured super glue.. Pretty handy for a tyer that uses a tiny bit of super glue to start any saltwater bug then a bit more to finish the ending thread build-up next to the hook eye. When I was a commercial operator I used enough super glue to make it worth buying by the carton (10 or 12 tubes at a time....) so having the ability to kill any wet glue was very handy....

No, I won't talk about all the other screw-ups that go on when you're bending hooks, or working with natural or synthetic materials... Most would get tired of the litany....