Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Magic Head substitute.

I posted this fly in the September thread. It is an articulated streamer with a compressed side to side, weighted head on a size 2 hook, which I like a lot because of the action it has on the pause.

Then I added a size 4 trailer hook with a sequin tied in front, right against the eye. I was trying to get the fly to wiggle its tail on a steady retrieve without using the Magic Heads I had seen people use on YouTube. Call me cheap, but I am not paying almost $1 a piece.

It was a little heavy for the 5wt., but it works very well! Very erratic front on short strip and pause retrieves, with a bit of jigging, and good tail kicking on long, steady retrieves.

post-52874-0-79770400-1506177322_thumb.jpg

Bimini can you show a picture of the rear hook assembly? I'm trying to see what your describing but can't see it in the finished fly. BTW how did your damsel fly fish. Mine sank like a rock and was an unproductive streamer.

Depending on what species you are targeting.

Do you need a rear hook at all?

The following suggestion would help with weight while allowing the fly to wiggle, and probably wiggle even more so.

Tie tail material on a piece of 15# mono or smaller that has a small loop.

A tool can be made to hold mono by stretching it between two fixed points (like two vises etc).

Tie finished tail to the hook by looping another piece of mono thru the first loop and lashing it to the hook shaft.

After tail is attached finish the fly as usual.

The damsel is still stuck to foam on the bench. Almost forgot about it.

Here is a sequin propped on a hook the same way as the fly on the pic.

post-52874-0-82211800-1506218194_thumb.jpg

I do need to tie another fly without the sequin to see how much of a difference it makes, apples to apples.

Thanks, I see what you mean now. I'll be interested in your side by side comparison. I find that beads give me good side action but would like something lighter to impart that movement.