Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

more leader questions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:12 AM

WHat exactly are they made out of? I have never seen one. DO they really last as long as people say? One more. How do you connect tippet? Like on braided leader loop to loop with perfection loop on the tippet. Sorry one more question. Do they cast softer than a braided leader in a dry fly application. I have seen them in cabelas but no good pic to tell anything about them. Thanks guysyou all are great! Not bad on post covered4 questions!
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#2 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:48 AM

Some of them use light mono but the one I saw demonstated by Kathy Scott used 6/0 tying tread. Using tying thread allows for different colored leaders. I haven't made or fished any but it's on my to do list. Here's a link on how to do it using one method but it's different than Kathy's.Twined leaders

Ken cool.gif
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>

#3 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:56 AM

First they are made of thread or mono. I can't personaly attest to their longevity because I haven't had mine that long. Tippets are attached to mine via a small metal ring (Feathercraft). I haven't formed an opinion on the Dry fly question, so I'll leave that one to someone else.
If you do a search on "furled leaders" you'll find detailed instructions on making your own. This will give you a better idea than I can give as to their composition.
They lift off the water very well and they offer a little shock absorbtion, these two things have made their use worth it to me.
Taney County, Missouri

#4 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:56 AM

This is also a good link.
but you may want to talk to Toddfather he is the king of furuled leaders

http://www.canerod.c...led/furled.html
user posted image

#5 Kaboom

Kaboom

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:45 PM

The furled leaders that I make have a loop on both ends. It's a simple matter to attach a tippett with the loop to loop method. They will last at least as long as you have heard.

#6 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:14 PM

Toddfather hooked a few of us a few years ago. I've been making and using them made of thread ever since. I use the loop-to-loop method to attach the line and tippet.
The key benefits for me are their awesome suppleness and their flexibilty as to what length and strength of tippet you can attach..

#7 TODDFATHER

TODDFATHER

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:45 AM

Guys!

Personally, I think thread furled leaders are perhaps the best kept secret on the trout streams. Some may object to that statement however: in such case, I respectfully submit that we are entitled to disagree.

I could go on and on singing the praises of these leaders but honenstly, what's the point. I think everyone owes it to themselves to try one and let it speak for itself, or...........perhaps not. I'm reasonably confident that the bulk of those whom make the effort to try them will walk away from the endevour sold on them forever.

I can make furled leaders up in about five minutes each and to that extent find it hard to comprehend where all the difficulty is in understanding the simple process that it is. If there is enough interest I'd be more than happy to share that which I have learned thru the years, including a simple jig, and the procedure for it's use.

I don't openly advocate the jigs that I have seen on the internet. Honestly guys, there's a much simpler way.

Toddfather
Sometimes when sleeping, I set the hook so hard I wake myself up! ...............It's really gonna get scary if I ever get one on!

#8 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:54 AM

Todfather, I would love to see the jig you are talking about. It sounds lots cheaper than buying them. I bought one to try off cabelas at 11.99 that is HIGH. So making them would be cool!
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#9 BusterWolfe

BusterWolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE (TODDFATHER @ Jan 4 2005, 01:44 AM)
Personally, I think thread furled leaders are perhaps the best kept secret on the trout streams.

Todd.

I "got into" making the furled leaders off the Global Fly Fisher website about three years ago, and I really like the thread leaders too for trout, and the 2-pound mono for warmwater.

I also soak the thread leaders in Scotchgard or some other dry-fly flotant to make the leaders float longer. And I also use the loop-to-loop connection for the tippet.
thumbsup.gif

#10 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:06 PM

Toddfather,

Yes, there is interest. I'd like to know about the jig and your technique.

help.gif thumbup.gif cheers.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#11 flyfishtn

flyfishtn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:45 PM

Toddfather - yes, the interest is here. Would love to know how to make the jog! thumbup.gif
My fly fishing, tying and random thoughts blog: flyfishtn

\><((((((*>

#12 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:04 AM

I'd love to hear your process Toddfather, I've been using a method I saw on the net and though it works its a much longer process than five minutes...well maybe 5 minutes of swearing.

Furled leaders rule:

I use them made of thread on my two weight and I use them made of Vanish 6# test for my 10 wt...there's no going back.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#13 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:36 AM

Toddfather - I got as far as cutting the dowels and getting the board to make them as in GFF but have been too busy to continue. If you've got a better way I'd love to see it. bugeyes.gif
GET OFF MY BACK!

#14 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:00 PM

OK.... what happened to Toddfather? I was all droolin' and stuff waitin' on him to give us the skinny on how to make furled leaders his easy way.... .and ..... NUTHIN' for over a week..... ive_been_ripped.gif

This is worse than waitin' on the recipe for trout crack...... well... not really.... BUT CLOSE!!!

wallbash.gif

bait.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#15 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,755 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:09 PM

Todd spends more time on the rod building part of the site than this section plus i know he busy with a bamboo project right now as well. I've spoke with TF a few times and hes a great guy, i'll see if i can get him to do a explanation for you guys...he helped me with these leaders about 2 yrs ago and they are awesome but i suck at tryin to explain them wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts