Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bug Dope

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 BoubouBomber

BoubouBomber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:57 PM

Use 30% DEET!, the 100% stuff does not give you more protection, i justs last longer. Use the 30% it's safer for your lips and flylines etc. If after a while the bugs coma back, use a little more. It's proven that you get no more protection with the 100% DEET than with th 30%, it just lasts longer

#17 rogerstg

rogerstg

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:23 PM

I agree on the 30% being the ticket, and anything over being overkill. The army study I read about indicated that 30 - 32% yeilded the best results and longest lasting protection. More % did nothing, it didn't even last longer.

#18 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:31 PM

100% Deet does last longer in every article i've read about it. It does not give you more protection than 30%Deet but the difference is in the time it last.

30% deet stays active for a normal period of time being around 7 hours while 100%Deet stays active for a normal period of about 13 hours.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#19 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:48 PM

I like the William Joseph The Solar Powered “MOSQUITO ANNOYER”. It's done well for me. Nothing to spray on and get in my eyes or on my gear. Works great.
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson