Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Do you keep or release your catch?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you keep the fish ou catch or put em back (212 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you keep the fish ou catch or put em back

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:11 AM

For me it depends on the species, I keep about a 1/3 of all the walleye I catch.
Pike-Bass-always go back in the water after a picture, panfish all go back unless they're perch and we catching them for a fish fry. I kept the first fish I caught of each trout species just to see how they tasted. And as far as salmon go I'd say I keep just about all of them. If a fish is large enough to consider being mounted I take 2 pics and can hopefully afford a graphite repoduction biggrin.gif

#2 mozes

mozes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:18 AM

I keep some of the fish I catch. I keep my limits of striped bass, blue fish, trout, and salmon. Everything else gets to go back.

David
www.vulcanzone.com

#3 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:28 AM

oops, the 4th choice is supposed to be the opposite of the 3rd choice but I can' edit it help.gif

#4 fish

fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:19 AM

I will only keep a fish if I am near certain that it will die because of injuries I have caused it. On the other hand I fish only for salmon and trout because they are the only things available and they are the native species. If I wanted to eat smallmouth bass and caught one in Nova Scotia for example, I would have no problems with keeping a legal limit.

#5 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:26 AM

I only keep a saltwater fish or 2 to eat. never freshwater fish dont care for the taste.

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#6 MuskyOnTheFly

MuskyOnTheFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:41 AM

I don't like cleaning fish, so they usually go back rolleyes.gif
We do usually have a fish fry of bluegill and perch when we take our yearly vacation to Wisconsin. I will keep crappie from time to time if I get a good mess of 'em.
-MuskyOnTheFly
There's three things that we're never late for here in Montana: Church, work, and fishing.
--from A River Runs Through it

#7 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

Walleye And perch, some are going to be eaten!

BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:39 AM

i keep some trout, depending on where i am fishing and who i am fishing with. i put a limit on the size i keep (have to be above legal and nothing over 16 inches). but if and when i get my first 20+ in trout, i may keep it for a mount. havent decided on that one yet.

as far as warmwater fish go, cant stand the taste of them so i always throw them back, unless someone asks me to keep a few for them.

steelhead, i dont get out enough for them, so i keep most, and salmon go back unless really, really fresh.

#9 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:51 AM

When I'm camping in the Sierra I'll keep a nice pan sized fish for dinner and release the rest. When I fish the lake Ontario tribs for big browns in the fall I let all of them go, for a couple of reasons, let them spawn, and I've been told that lake Ontario water is full of heavy metals from so much lake side industry including the Kodak facility in Rochester. I might be worng but I think the water is much cleaner in lake Erie? Besides, smaller fish taste better. Large bass start tasting like moss but the little ones tast great fried in butter and garlic.
Graham

#10 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:09 PM

Only when I know I'm gonig to cook it and that isn't to often.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,945 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:23 PM

Trout & steelhead i release, salmon i dont like the taste of so they go back. About the only think i keep are some walleye,perch and bass(OSD loves the taste of bass tongue.gif ) but even then its not to often. I probably release about 95-97% of all fish.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#12 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:31 PM

but the little ones tast great fried in butter and garlic.

Stop, your making my mouth water.

BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:41 PM

It depends on my mood. Sometimes a whole season goes by without me keeping fish. Other years I keep some from most trips. Yellow Perch rarely go back in the water. Everything else is a toss up.

One thing I have to share is that if you eat fish you must someday try Lake Shore Drive spice from the Spicehouse in Chicago. This has nearly replaced Salt and Pepper on my table for its versatility, and on fish it is amazing! They do mail order and have become my main place to get spices. Their stuff is fantastic.
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#14 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

I like to catch fish much better than eat them and besides, I can buy fish to eat.
You can't get fried chicken out of a fried egg.
Taney County, Missouri

#15 Troutman

Troutman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:40 PM

I keep all hatchery steelhead and salmon. All other fish go back.

Jim