Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Do you keep or release your catch?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you keep the fish ou catch or put em back (212 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you keep the fish ou catch or put em back

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 uncletube

uncletube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:30 PM

Depends on how fish hungery I am. On the average I keep maybe 10 trout a year Gillies and crappie I will keep the legal possession limit of each over winter other than that I release everything else especially the lunkers. I had a bad experience several years ago over a large mouth bass I was going to have mounted ended up not having the cash so, in the end the fish was wasted and I have not gotten over it yet. Besides pictures are easier to carry to show off!!! Not to mention being better for the fish and cheaper to boot!!!!
" Who are you trying to jive with that cosmic debris?"

#17 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:40 AM

I had a bad experience several years ago over a large mouth bass I was going to have mounted ended up not having the cash so, in the end the fish was wasted and I have not gotten over it yet. Besides pictures are easier to carry to show off!!! Not to mention being better for the fish and cheaper to boot!!!!

Next time take your pics and check out the graphite reproductions, in my opinion they are the way to go.

#18 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,768 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:44 AM

I've got quite a few fish mounts myself. One word of caution on the reproductions though, make sure you look at some of the guy/shops work before you plunk the money down. I have seen some repo mounts that were great and then some that were really sick.gif so check out their work first.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#19 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:03 AM

One word of caution on the reproductions though, make sure you look at some of the guy/shops work before you plunk the money down. I have seen some repo mounts that were great and then some that were really sick.gif so check out their work first.

that good advise headbang.gif

#20 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:47 AM

I never keep any fish because I'm such a great fisherman that if I did every trip would be over in a matter of minutes.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#21 nedbm3

nedbm3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:37 PM

If I am at camp, I will keep some trout if I plan on eating them that night. Most of the time I let them go.

http://groups.yahoo....aniaflyfishing/
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

http://groups.yahoo....aniaflyfishing/

#22 Flyweaver

Flyweaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:39 PM

I c&r all wild trout and most stockers,it all dependswhere they come from. I won't keep and eat any fish that come from questionable waters. There are streams that are stocked by the State,that have an abundance of sewage treatment plants on them and the trout taste like and smell like s--- when cooked.
The only thing golden about the golden years is your urine

#23 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:09 PM

I never keep any fish because I'm such a great fisherman that if I did every trip would be over in a matter of minutes.

WOW! such modesty! laugh.gif

BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:14 PM

Don't keep trout...don't like the taste, wild or hatchery. I release bass. About the only fish I keep for the table are bluegill, crappie; catfish if from clean water. The Tennessee River watershed isn't the cleanest with advisories on most of them due to chemical pollution. The best crappie are from about this time of the year when the water is very cold. Spring and summer, the meat softens, to me. Then again, there is Captain D's or Long John Silver's.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#25 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:59 AM

Bout the only time I keep trout is when I am fishing a stream that has no wild populations and that is not very often. Every once in a while I have to bring something home so that my wife doesn't think all my fishing trips have an alterior motive laugh.gif Why would I want another woman any way??? Then I would have to come up with a whole new list of excuses to go fishing. My wife is actually very supportive of my habit and sometimes encourages me to go. Should I be worried? blink.gif
When it comes to panfish, I like to get a mess of them on occasion. Bream and crappie make a good seafood salad. Walleye...if legal they're going in the pan!

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#26 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:29 PM

Its a choice I make when Im landing a fish. I have no problem harvesting them, If I dont eat them I know lots of people that will.
I just gave away three Stripers, That were caught in Sept.I released a dozen or so from that nights fishing. No set rules its always a toss up.
Sometimes we will go fishing strickly for the kill, such as flounder.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#27 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:49 PM

I catch and release unless I am camping, then they are coming to the campfire with me.

Jim

#28 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:33 PM

Never cared for the smell of fish cooking.
Turns me off from eating them. I have kept a few when on a charter. They keep everything. Or if a friend wants one. Other than that, I let em all go.

The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#29 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (Sean Juan @ Jan 22 2005, 08:47 AM)

headbang.gif
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#30 ShadowNix

ShadowNix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 06:06 PM

I release most, but must admit I keep a few each season... last count I kept 2 steelies (of 5) and 2 trout (of oh, about 60+ last season)... MMMMMMM trout....dangit now I have spring fever!

'Nix