Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hooks - barbed or barbless?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you use barbed hooks or barbless? Do you think it makes a difference? (159 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use barbed hooks or barbless? Do you think it makes a difference?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:32 AM

Which kind of hook to do prefer to use when fly fishing and why?
Concider hooks with flattened barbs as being barbless as well.
Do you think you get better catch rates using barbed hooks?
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>

#2 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:45 AM

I use barbed because I can crush down the barb when regulations call for barbless or fish are taking fly too deep to effectively release without harming them.

OSD.

user posted image

#3 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:31 PM

I use a barded hook and crush barb as needed!

BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 jasonk

jasonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:55 PM

i use all bardless hooks, even in waters that don't require it. I find it is abit easier on the fish if you are releasing them . barbless hooks are also alot easier to free from you skin if you have a stray cast.

#5 Live2Fish

Live2Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:25 PM

Most of my smaller flys barbless and my larger flys barbed.
Fishing is at once the ultimate quest, the ultimate joy, the ultimate frustration. And anglers wouldn’t have it any other way.

#6 ctducker

ctducker

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:04 PM

I smash down the barbs on all the flys that I tie. Seems to be easier to release the fish or take the fly out of some sort of clothing that I may hook on myself.

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:35 PM

I use barbed but crimp down the barb alot of times when i feel I need to go barbless.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#8 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:58 PM

The only reason I don't use all barbless is that they are not readily available, and at a decent price.
I haven't been able to see any provable difference in hooking power.
Taney County, Missouri

#9 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:39 PM

I mash em all down.
GET OFF MY BACK!

#10 kenneyk

kenneyk

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:07 PM

I fish mainly saltwater, so I tie my flies with stainless hooks. Others rust out too quickly!

#11 go-n-fishn

go-n-fishn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:12 PM

I fish a lot of project water that calls for barbless hooks, got checked once and forgot to pinch it down. Now I pinch all of them down at the vise, saves alot of explaining.

#12 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:08 AM

I voted for both just because I use a lot of circle hooks that I haven't figured out a sure-fire way of mashing the barb without compromising the tip...

All others are barbless...when you catch a lot of bluefish you appreciate the ease of getting the hook out.

As for losing fish - I don't think I've ever lost a fish merely because I was using a barbless hook - but I do think a barbed hook gives you the freedom to make a few mistakes and get away with it.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#13 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:09 PM

I use barbless ("smashed" barbs) on all my flies. I mash them before putting the hook in the vice..... three reasons.....

1. Makes C & R easier.

2. If I get the hook in me during tying or casting, much easier to get out of the skin..... (Make that my #1 reason!!)

3. I've heard it takes a lot out of your fishing day when the game warden finds a barbed hook in your fly box and you're in a barbless stretch of the river.

Hint: After you tie, first thing you should do is check and sharpen your hook point.

I've fished both ways "pre-flyfishing" days and I found very little difference in hook-ups. It's a little easier for the fish to get the hook out without a barb, but if you're playing him right, he won't get the chance..... wink.gif

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#14 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

Arkie, is it true that on C&R in AR, a hook has to go through clothing, and out, without any resistance?
Taney County, Missouri

#15 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:04 PM

Wayne,

The '04 Trout Handbook illustrates how to crimp a barb to make it barbless. It states "Crimped completely, the hook is smooth and will not snag when passed
through cloth." Other than that "suggestion" I don't see any definition in either handbook of a barbless hook other than it has been "crimped." I've heard the wardens will use one of two methods. Either poke it in their shirt/vest or run their fingernail across to check for a barb.

I've never been checked. But I bet you can find some of the guys on FFAM that have. Might be a good post for that forum.

BTW.... The '05 Fishing handbook is out. Don't think the '05 Trout book is available yet.

AGFC '05 Fishing Handbook
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....