Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

new salmon rod

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stremblay77

stremblay77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:23 AM

Ok, i'm looking for a new salmon rod with the new season coming. 9'6", #8, medium- fast++ and i will prefer a two pieces rod. My budget is around 300us$. I looked at the sage Fli, scott a2, Ste-croix Avid, some templefork.... But I really don't know!! I want to read you think guys! laugh.gif

#2 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

St. Croix Legend Ultra 9'6 8 Weight. That rod is a beast. I have 2, my brother has 1, and my dad has 1. All are happy with the results.
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,951 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:25 PM

I use a Sage VPS 9' 8wt and have probably close to 1,000 salmon landed to the credit of that rod. Its a med/fast action and is a real work horse. The legend elite is a good rod as well, I think thats the one Brent(wickedcarpenter) has so maybe he can give you some info on that rod.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:25 PM

I would go with a temple fork or the sage steeldrifter mentioned. I am not a very big fan of st croix because in my experience compared to temple fork or sage they are about as durable as a thin twig.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#5 stremblay77

stremblay77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

thank you guys... I'm waiting for other opinions....rolleyes.gif

#6 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:05 PM

The St.Croix Legend Elite would be out of the price range he is looking to spend ($530). I have yet to break mine and I'm ruff on it. My kids have even tried breaking it LoL!
I'll never need another 8 wt fly rod.I'm that happy with it and use it year round insted of spinning gear.
Stay away from a Orvis rod and you'll do good for around $300
Brent

#7 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:49 AM

A lot of people i know refer to st croix as "St Snap" because of theire tendency to break in the middle of fish fights with fish that should be handled by the rod. I can't tell you how many people know who have had st croix snap on them for salmon and rainbows.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#8 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:07 AM

Not sure if I have a fluke rod but Steeldrifter can asure the guys carrying broken Orvis rods down stream in search of new ones.
The Legend Elite will please your needs and leave youi happy
Me and Steve seen the guy carrying his 3rd rod in hand.Im' a nobody than will sell a St.Croix all day and be fishing.Can I say Word!!!!!!!!!

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,951 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:15 PM

Yup I remember that guy with the 2.5 piece rod, he didnt seem to happy laugh.gif

I havent owned a St.croix legend elite but Brent and I put both his St. Croix and my Sage through there paces back in sept without problems. We fished for 16 hours straight for about 4 or 5 days and landed salmon up to #25 and Brents St.Croix never had any prob's doing it.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#10 BoubouBomber

BoubouBomber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

I have an avid, actually2, since i bought one for my girfriend, we love them, though we dont have any experience with salmon rods, by the way we tried them on "la Gouffre"