Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New 240g tank build

164 replies to this topic

#151 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

Duh! Comes to show you my level of expertise in aquariums... :)
Bimini15

#152 Lesg

Lesg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

Steve,

Looking back at your original post one can see the work that you have put into this project. I'd have a hard time leaving your man cave. Congrats on another well done project whether it has been a rod or aquarium your work is always outstanding.

Les

#153 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

Looks great Steve.

#154 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,043 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

Looks lovely with the front as it is. Looking forward to the video.....
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#155 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

Been doing some work on the big tank tonight. Added some manzanita style branches which I took from a different tank I recently took down. Cut the ends flat and mounted them to the underside of the acrylic top so that they hang down into the tank to look like roots hanging down. Been up and running for about 2 months now and I added the 2nd fx5 filter about a month ago which has fully seeded now so even after almost 2 weeks nitrates barely even read 20ppm. By far my most enjoyable tank I have built. I enjoy my morning coffee in front of it just about every day.

bqzFo0.jpg
 swW3Is.jpg
 3PsHOG.jpg
 GKOg2k.jpg
 BxwKfm.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#156 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

I have almost zero interest in owning a a fish tank, and those pictures are making me jealous.

#157 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,389 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

Unlike Vicente ... I have every interest in owning an aquarium (travel make that impossible).

LIKE him ... I am very jealous !!!

Beautifully done, Steve !!!

PS ... can you guess which fish are my favorites ???

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#158 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

Figured I'd post an update on the 240g since it has been awhile that it has been running. All if going really well. both FX5's handle the stock nicely so I can go easily 3 weeks between WC's without issue. Have added a few pieces of equipment such as powerhead and a programable wavemaker which the fish really seem to like. Added a bit to the lighting in the form of some LED spotlights to go along with the LED fixtures so the tank has a real nice shimmer water effect to it. Been picking up more predator haps and adding to the tank. Still have a few species I am on the hunt for but the current stock makes for a really active enjoyable tank that seems to all get along pretty well with each other.I also sold off the 55g with the group of trophs that were next to it and moved my 75g bleekeri, Oscar & spotted silver dollar tank next to it in the 55g's place. Club auction next weekend so we'll see what happens to follow me home from the auction ;)

frDWg1.jpg
HBQcLf.jpg
Y342aF.jpg
LIKMuT.jpg
n6IIIa.jpg
A3fWVZ.jpg
8f0Wpu.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#159 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,389 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

Oh, wow !!!

I love that tank !!!

Barbed hooks rule!

#160 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

Short vid of my 240g tank after recently doing some more work on it. Added some new accent lighting today with a couple of 850lum LED spotlights which give it that nice shimmering water effect (vid doesn't show that very well). Recently added some new fish- Moorii, Taiwan reef, Pheno, Fosso, Venustus, some Ob's and a trip of Bucco's.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#161 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,389 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

Beautiful, Steve.  You're aesthetic sense of design for aquariums is superb.

I am envious, yet again!

Barbed hooks rule!

#162 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

Thanks Mike. This tank is one of those "never done" type things for me, seems I'm always finding something to do to upgrade it but that's okay I get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Wait till you see what is in store for "Office upgrade version 3.0" starting in about 5-6 weeks ;)

I'm picking up a pair of 120g 4'x2'x2' tanks from a friend in the local cichlid club I am a part of and starting some new builds with those. I plan to move the 75g tank and then build an 8ft stand right next to the 240g with the pair of 120gs butted up again each other against that back wall. So in other words there will be an L shape of tanks with the 240g 6ft tank going one one, then 8ft of tanks going the other :)

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#163 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,043 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Lovely Steve.

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#164 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

Great project SD.... DIYers are the best. I am one too sorta...couple guestions:

I had a 75gal for years and lived by a bayou on M'sipi coast and grew some nice oscars, jack Dempsey, etc feeding them mostly grass shrimp netted along a concrete wall. Anyway my ex ended up with the tank and few years later the silicone glue failed(something about only lasted 15 yrs???). Flooded the room to my pleasure after bitter divorce stuff... How is your acrylic tank "put" together?

I had small tanks for most of my life and after some expensive saltwater deals failed finally gave up on them. Seems no matter what filtration system after a few years bad algae would take over requiring makeovers. Freshwater is lots easier so briefly what's your filter deal?

Oh maybe you can get down to south Florida sometimes and get some lil peacocks, clownknives, or Mayan cichlids he he....

IMG_1057.jpg
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#165 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

I had a 75gal for years and lived by a bayou on M'sipi coast and grew some nice oscars, jack Dempsey, etc feeding them mostly grass shrimp netted along a concrete wall. Anyway my ex ended up with the tank and few years later the silicone glue failed(something about only lasted 15 yrs???). Flooded the room to my pleasure after bitter divorce stuff... How is your acrylic tank "put" together?

Yep that's why I don't deal in older glass tanks anymore. 3 yrs ago I had a 265g 7ft tank, spent over a year building it, it leaked, tried resealing it twice doing it properly, just did not work. Tall 30" tanks just have so much pressure on the bottom silicone seal, unless you take it apart and reseal "between" the panels, it will not hold.

After that I swore off any big tanks, then I found this big one from a local club member. The good thing about acrylic, the seams are not fit together and sealed with silicone, they are actually "bonded". Thats why I will never own a tank over 125g that is not acrylic these days ;)

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Reply to this topic