Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
newbie@this

Didn't catch nuthin'...

So I did my bucket list thing and went fishing in Colorado. Started off at the CO River in Hot Sulfur Springs. Too many campers. On the way back, we stopped at another spot. Stayed for about an hour. Nothing. Went to a couple more spots. Nothing. Went back to Grand Lake to the boat launch area (not far from where we were staying) and...nothing. Gave up and did a little more sightseeing. Went back to the boat launch after dinner. Saw quite a few break water. Caught nothing. Did I enjoy myself? Hell yeah! Being in the mountains at a beautiful (but crowded) lake cleans the soul and makes you appreciate the time you have to spend with family and nature.

Bob

As the saying goes, "That's why they call it fishing and not catching."

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

I didn't catch nuthin either. I've been spreading mulch, shoveling sand, cutting grass, installing a railing and preparing for hosting an event on Saturday. I prefer your catching nuthin to mine.

There's more to fishing than catching fish; there's fly tying, rod building, leader making, posting on forums, etc.

Not catching makes that first catch sweeter!

I have found that it is difficult to travel to a new area (an area to which you have never been) and just start catching fish. I believe that one actually has to "pay his dues" to a new place in order to be successful there. Case in point, when I moved to the Smoky Mountains, it took about a year for me to start catching fish consistently. Every fishing hole has it's own peculiarities and nuances that take time to learn, such as how to read the water, places to fish, places to avoid, how to present your fly, etc. Some places are more picky than others and the same tactics used in one area do not necessarily work in an other. About the only way to overcome this phenomenon is to hire a guide who knows the area.

Joe

While there is some truth to "learning new waters" taking some time ... fish are fish. They will always do the same things in the same kinds of water.

Current will concentrate fish in slack areas. Just in front and behind rocks, logs, etc., will hold fish.

Still water can disperse fish, but they still concentrate near bait hold areas. Weed lines, lay downs or other wood and gravel or shell beds always attract hungry fish.

The hardest thing to figure out is: Where are the places that aren't as fished. Where can you go to find fish that others haven't already beat up. I find, where ever I go in the Country ... fishing the LEAST likely areas usually produces. I've caught nice fish in a 1 foot deep hole in 6" deep water.

While there is some truth to "learning new waters" taking some time ... fish are fish. They will always do the same things in the same kinds of water.

Current will concentrate fish in slack areas. Just in front and behind rocks, logs, etc., will hold fish.

Still water can disperse fish, but they still concentrate near bait hold areas. Weed lines, lay downs or other wood and gravel or shell beds always attract hungry fish.

The hardest thing to figure out is: Where are the places that aren't as fished. Where can you go to find fish that others haven't already beat up. I find, where ever I go in the Country ... fishing the LEAST likely areas usually produces. I've caught nice fish in a 1 foot deep hole in 6" deep water.

I used to pretty much believe all of that; that is until I moved to the Smoky Mountains and started fishing the streams in the GSM National Park. I don't think the fish here got the memo.

Joe

I'm already plotting my next excursion to Colorado. I remember a few rivers in NW Colorado from quite a few years ago on a trip to Dinosaur National Monument. Also the Blue River and Green Mountain Reservoir outside of Silverthorne. I asked quite a few people that fished Grand Lake on this trip how'd they do. Only one guy out of about 7 caught a trout, so I don't feel bad at all..

Low water flows are making fishing tough in Colorado this year. If the flows were higher you could have hit some smaller creeks and caught brookies on dries all day, but with the current flows, as soon as your fly hits the water they spook for miles. That's my opinion.

In addition, Joe's point, some places are tougher to fish than others. Thinking about the Colorado river near Parshall, Hot springs, and that area, it gets pounded. Makes for more selective fish unless you time it right. The blue river is a tailwater (in a couple of places) and has colder water coming from the bottom of the lakes. But, as you might guess, being ~1 hour from Denver and many other streams running low, it's seeing its' share of pressure.

I'm bummed to hear you didn't catch anything. I've made big plans and trips only to be stuck with the skunk as well, it happens. Another way to put what Mike said...Just like going anywhere, Wyoming, Montana, even Alaska, if you go to the more tourist or popular areas the fish tend to get more pressure and likely require a bit more local knowledge. I think you are on the right track at looking into the NW area (but don't go too far Northwest or you are in Smallie and Pike territory).

FishinPhil, I wouldn't mind hitting up some smallies. Used to catch them all the time in Connecticut, but here in Missouri I have to travel about 3 hours south into the beginnings of the Ozarks to catch them. If my memory serves me right, the Yampa River runs through the NW are of CO...