Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltybum

9ft 3wt plus

A couple weeks back I bought a custom full wells grip and butt from Steve to rebuild the bottom end of my CPS 6wt.

I managed to save the Redington reel seat and decided to get a 3wt for it. Already had the cork and guides, so I went to town.

The 3wt came with two tips ( ebay/Roger) but only wrapped the one. It cast 60 feet quite easily and I'm very pleased with the blank.

Here's the results of both rods. The 6wt CPS also balances much nicer now with a bit more butt weight. No where near Steve's quality but I'm pretty happy with the final results.

post-44758-0-43088300-1486841346_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-44903700-1486841373_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-02714000-1486841387_thumb.jpg

Nice rods, good building ! How do you like the tip action on Rogers 3 wt ? I'm looking to build a 3-4 wt and that is one I am considering, I believe it's an iM6 blank..

Thanks Dave

I'm not an authority on the light weight rods but I really like this three weight and how it feels and casts. If it didn't have the spare tip I would probably buy another one. Checking the bay I see he has two of these 3wts left.

Thanks Dave

I'm not an authority on the light weight rods but I really like this three weight and how it feels and casts. If it didn't have the spare tip I would probably buy another one. Checking the bay I see he has two of these 3wts left.

Yep I just checked, the translucent green is sold out now but he has the wine color in stock..

Don't see a lot of 3 weights with a fighting butt. I like it - looks great! And that is a beautiful grip and butt you got from Steve.

Thanks Kinni. Soon as I catch something with it I'll post it. Most likely a bass at VA clinic retention pond next week when I go in for appt.

I rather prefer the way the small fighting butt feels against my arm versus the edge of the bare reel seat when fighting fish, even small ones. Not very hard to add on either.

Came out nice looking nice job Salty. Rogers blanks are a really good value for the affordable price he charges. IMO they feel on par with blanks costing 3 times as much. Can't go wrong with those.

Funny how it always is in the little details.

I have a 6wt. Powell rod that is great but I hardly use because it bugs me that it does not have a hook keeper.

It could use a fighting butt as well.

Thanks Dave.

I will get around to it one day.

The real problem is that I have too many rods for the limited fishing I do, so it is not high on the list as long as I have my 5wts.