Fly Tying
bass master

Rod Tubes needed.

I finally picked up a new fly rod and reel. It came with a nice rod tube and a soft pull string bag for the reel. My question is, Are you supposed to remove the reel every time you're done fishing? And keep it stored in the tube.

Whenever I go fishing, as soon as I get back to the car, before I do anything else, I break down the rod and put it in the tube. I will leave the cap off, or open, so it can dry out, but I never leave it assembled. This prevents rods from getting broken in car doors, or falling off the roof, or any of a dozen other accidents that can happen if the rod isn't stowed properly.

The one exception is when I'm staying on the water, either camping or in a cabin, and I expect to fish again soon. Of course, that's also the one time when I have broken a rod tip by slamming a car door on it (it slipped just as I started to close the door, and there was no stopping either one.)

I keep one of my rods in my truck, I got a gun rack, so I just cut one of the casting rod socks from bass pro to length to cover it taken down up to the reel, it does a good job of keeping it in one piece and I can keep it rigged up and ready to go for a quick stop on the way home after work.

That what I do, i keep mine behind my seat, ready to go. As a construction worker I never work at the same place. So i get to fish different paces and new places. I looked at this rod tube like..Its nice. But I dont want to set my rod and reel up every time. Sometimes I only have an hour. And I want to be ready.

If you have room for a two piece rod and reel case, I would get one:

Reel the fly to the tip top, break the rod in two, even if it is a four piece, bring the tip top around to the reel seat and put the rod in the case, both pieces in the same compartment.

When you want to fish, pull them out of the case, reattach, pull out the fly and tippet, and you are ready in no time.

Unfortunately for me, I do not have enough room in my car to do this and keep a rod completely out of sight. And the system does not work so well if I break the rod in four.

With graphite rods, all it takes is one small nick and you will add another section to your fly rod. If you don't have a tube for your fly rod, you can make a nice lightweight one from central vacuum cleaner tubing and a couple of end caps. Standard schedule 40 PVC also makes a decent rod tube, just a little heavier. If you are buying a new rod, Bass Pro offers a two year extended warranty - if anything happens to your rod, bring it in to Bass Pro and you will walk out of the store with a replacement - no questions asked!! Beats the heck out of ruining your vacation because you broke your rod and have to send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement.

while removing their boots and waders after a day of fishing and ready to go home, fly fisherman have been known to leave their rod and reel outfit leaning up against a tree or on top of the car and just drive away only to come on forums asking other fishermen if anybody if they had seen their outfit somewhere

the break down of the outfit and storing it away in the vehicle should be the first thing you do before removing your boots and waders

"you cant fix stupid" - ron white

I keep my rods and reels in one of these.

That's much better than a tube. Plus some extra storage room. I am kind of careless with my rods. I could take that right to the water edges. Going to look for one.

Many different ways to care for your fly rods - and it all depends on your needs and how you're going to transport them. For me, since I'm a full time saltwater guide and all my rods are going to be transported on my skiff... I put them together, rigged and ready, then... they're never taken apart again unless they need to go back to the manufacturer for a warranty repair... When not on the water or in my skiff (there's many a day when my anglers are using spinning gear (fly rod? what's that...) those same rods are standing in a corner of my garage... ready to go back on the skiff - I keep a 7 and all the way up to 12wts ready to go. For me, the worst thing that can happen to a fly rod is for a ferrule to loosen up in use by one of my anglers - then with a big fish on that joint fails -in dramatic fashion. Once my fly rods are assembled, they're never taken apart if at all possible (eliminates just one more way that rods can fail...).

Here's a serious tip for those storing their rods in a tube. After your trip and a bit of rinsing -make sure your rod is completely dry (a day or two..) before it goes into the sleeve, then into the rod tube. A bit of moisture, trapped inside your storage tube and you may not like the condition your rod will be in the next time you need it....

I keep my rods and reels in one of these.

That's much better than a tube. Plus some extra storage room. I am kind of careless with my rods. I could take that right to the water edges. Going to look for one.

Bass Pro for just over 100 bucks. I can fit 4 rods in there comfortably all in their own rod socks.