Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sean Juan

Fly Storage - Non-Field

I was just wondering if anyone had a good way of storing flies in the house.

I tie close to 47 million flies a winter and I load up my pack, my boat bag - the emergency bag I have in my truck, and the one in my wife's car, and the one in my company car...but I always have more as refills. They are stuck in styrofoam but I was hoping for a better way.

I do. Trout traveler saw it this weekend, I wont be able to get to put a picture on here till this weekend, but I will do it then.

Wal-Mart or any craft store sells plastic boxes that are divided. The cost is around 2 or 3 bucks thats where i store my extra flies when everything else is full. If you tie sucker spawns this box isnt good to store them in. The hook tends to stick in the yarn.

hope this helps

screaming reels

i have a couple of storage boxes that hook together back to back to form a satchel type case. they have dividers in them too. i got these from walmarts for 3 bucks a piece.

one side has all of my nymphs in it, and the other has all of my streamer type flies.

Wally world again..... rolleyes.gif

I'm now using a combination to two items. First is a (1) standard floss box. Second is a neat new craft tote (2) that they sell that has 32 perfect little square boxes(1 5/8X 1 5/8 X 3/4), two larger (cassette size , great for swaps, just over the 20mm shipping mark for CAN shipping), and 16 smaller boxes (1 1/4 X1 1/4 X 1/2) and comes in a carrying case.

First take the lid off of the floss box and toss (recycle) as the perfect boxes exceed the height of the floss box. Cut out the extra plastic where the handle fits into the case.. Place 3 of the perfect boxes on thier sides in the sections for floss. You now have storage for 54 types of flies, in one box. Smaller boxes can be used on the bench for hooks, beads etc. and the carring case lined with foam can be used for swap flies, boat box, or storage for larger (pike) flies.

I don't know what you could use the little spoon that comes with it for..... tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

All told $12 will give you tons of storage space for organizing and storing flies.

Art

Actually, if you're tying multiples of the same fly, go to any sporting goods store and buy a few plano 3700's. Well, in your case with 47,000,000, you may want at least 5 laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Nice thing about these, they have dividers. Can be put into, I think, 18 smaller cubes. But can make it into 3 big ones if you tie alot of one pattern. Can vary the box as you wish since the dividers come out except for the 3 main dividers. Can stack them up nicely, and they actually sell soft tackle type bags these will slide into. You can buy a 3-4 carrying capacity bags out of Cabelas and Bass Pro. Pretty nice way to go actually. I usually don't stock myself up that much. I keep my fly boxes/wallets full, that's about it. I only tie more if I lose some that day. But you'll put ALOT of flies into those 3700's, especially if they are small flies.

Its a horrible cycle...the more I tie the more I give away the more I have to tie...

I tie clouser after clouser - then send them off to die on some God-forsaken rock...The Horror The Horror...

I'd like to get some of that magnetic wall paper for my tying room, then I could just check them against the wall.

Cabela's Fly Box System, Decorate your tying area with craft foam (wall paper )and the you can hook them in the foam.

I like the throwing them at the wall and sticking, but isnt that what you do with spagetti?

Most guys have a lot of room on the ceiling. Soooo if you put a carpet on ceiling you can hook your flies on carpet fibers, make sure their not barbless --they fall off. 47,000000 that's a lot of overhead. .

L-Pa

dunno.gif

I just got 4 Plano 3701's. They are shallower than the original 3700's and have 34 compartments but are adjustable.

I used to store flys on strips of 1/2" thick foam and I was contemplating make a big board of strips to hang on the wall but my wife said NO.

Sign in to follow this