Fly Tying
shoebop

Grateful for the lack of Political content

I was just on Facebook and I noticed that I hadn't seen any posts from a flytying group of which I was a member. So I started looking closer and went back into my logs and discovered the reason...and there it was... I called out the leader of the group for publishing political (fake) news articles on the forum. Not just one or two but lots of them. I said this was a flytying group and should be a politics free zone.

I guess he didn't like that so he booted me from the group. I wasn't disagreeing with his ideology but just asking to not have him use the forum as his personal political soapbox. I am just astounded! I am sure glad we don't do political crap here.

I made the decision to institute the no political or Religion posts back many years ago, think it was maybe even our very first year online I believe. Probably the best thing I have ever done for this site IMO. Mainly just because politics & religion are two things which are very personal beliefs and even when discussions on them start off friendly 99% of the time they don't end that way. I have very strong feelings on my political stance as well as on my beliefs, but they are mine and mine alone just as the next guys are his and should be respected even if they differ from mine. So that's why I decided years ago to not even head down that road with this website.

Too bad they booted ya for no reason like that Chris. Some people out there just look for a reason to get offended and throw a fit, sounds like you found a few of them on FB.

I was just on Facebook and I noticed that I hadn't seen any posts from a flytying group of which I was a member. So I started looking closer and went back into my logs and discovered the reason...and there it was... I called out the leader of the group for publishing political (fake) news articles on the forum. Not just one or two but lots of them. I said this was a flytying group and should be a politics free zone.

I guess he didn't like that so he booted me from the group. I wasn't disagreeing with his ideology but just asking to not have him use the forum as his personal political soapbox. I am just astounded! I am sure glad we don't do political crap here.

You have observed correctly here. Mike, steel, and I will lock out that bullshyster commentary down faster than anything else here. We watch politics more carefully than any other content. Very glad to say that not any threads have been locked for that reason. Not much otherwise either. #best.community.on.web.for.learning.good.stuff

Honored here. I have read every single new post since becoming a monitor, and many others for context. Pleased to say not one has attacked a another user for their beliefs. KEEP it UP!

Adam ... you've touted your reverence for beer often enough. We all KNOW your religion.

Do you know the "Hymn to Ninkasi"?

Around here we like to reserve our mindless vitriol for the real topics, like what the best vise is or how one should view tenkara biggrin.png

Around here we like to reserve our mindless vitriol for the real topics, like what the best vise is or how one should view tenkara :D

Yes, but you have to admit the debate onCombined paddleboarding and spey casting turned out quite well at the end

I made the decision to institute the no political or Religion posts back many years ago, think it was maybe even our very first year online I believe. Probably the best thing I have ever done for this site IMO. Mainly just because politics & religion are two things which are very personal beliefs and even when discussions on them start off friendly 99% of the time they don't end that way. I have very strong feelings on my political stance as well as on my beliefs, but they are mine and mine alone just as the next guys are his and should be respected even if they differ from mine. So that's why I decided years ago to not even head down that road with this website.

Good decision, I am on a couple other forums where both get out of hand and people get banned.

Not only the lack of politics but also the lack of conservation issues. These topics tend to promote bitterness and animosity among members and there's plenty of other sites out there if you feel a need to yell from the highest rooftop

Not only the lack of politics but also the lack of conservation issues. These topics tend to promote bitterness and animosity among members and there's plenty of other sites out there if you feel a need to yell from the highest rooftop

Agreed, no point in divisiveness, when unity on tying and fishing themes produces so much good will, good Art for all to enjoy!

Agreed, no point in divisiveness, when unity on tying and fishing themes produces so much good will, good Art for all to enjoy!

That's why the politics are so religious & the religious are so political in believing it's good for all to enjoy irregardless......

So, a Republican and a Democrat walk into a bar...Guess what happens.

The world news agencies go go go completely nuts on the fact they could decide what bar to go to...

Yeah, politics never results in constructive relevance for most conversations.

You are back! Or have I not been paying attention?

On the topic of politics and religion on the forum, amen!... I mean, right!... I mean, agreed! :)