Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Extral Large, double-sided clear lid fly boxes

I’m not one to be big on the whole “Black Friday” shopping insanity, mostly because of two reasons; first, there’s nothing I want so bad as to sit on some cold line all night to save a few bucks on it. Second, as indicated by my use of the word “insanity”, those people are crazy, and I don’t want to be in that group to get run over.

Enter the Internet.

I’ve been toying with the idea of some new fly boxes from Green Caddis Outfitters for a while, and when I got the email announcing an online Black Friday special offering boxes at 50% off, I had to jump on it, and boy am I glad I did.

I got two new boxes from GCO. I got the extra larges of course, in the double-sided, clear lid, waterproof, Easy-Grip and also Slotted (Streamer) foam. They arrived within a few days of my order, and I’m already very pleased with their look and how many flies they’ll hold. In fact, I was so excited I started tying a new batch of nymphs just for the Easy-Grip box!

In the interest of full disclosure, I have sworn by foam boxes for years in the interest of reducing the amount of weight I carry by as great an amount as possible, but there was always the same annoying sacrifice no matter what box I used; I had to open it to find the fly I wanted, and like so many of you, I’ve lost more than a few flies on windy days while I flipped through my boxes.

It’s so nice to have boxes that I can see through to grab not only the right box the first time, but also the right fly without hesitation. In addition to that, being double-sided and packed with space, they will allow me to hold a vast selection of flies which feeds that need I have to be ready for anything.

I haven’t fished with them yet, but with a Christmas day trip planned I am filling them with nymphs and streamers just as fast as I can, and am more excited for this trip than I have been for any in a very long time. Thanks Green Caddis Outfitters. These boxes are well worth the cost at your reasonable full price, and I expect to be buying more!

http://greencaddis.com/fly-boxes/waterproof-fly-boxes.html

I am LOVING these boxes! The textured lids provide a lot of help with grip while fishing with cold, wet hands. The latch could be debated by some regarding ease of use, but I like the security. Both boxes hold all the flies I could ever use in one trip, and being able to see them before I open the box has been so helpful!