Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dflanagan

Wulff swap

All these great swaps I'm itching to get in but can't commit at the moment..

😢

Like I said in other swap. I like Wulff patterns but I don't have good white calf tail. Lots of good stuff but white is crap what I have left. I'll get in but will use a different color other than white for wings and tail.

Not all the Wulff patterns use white. The grey Wulff uses brown bucktail.

Yep. White bucktail can be used for wings and tails, too. At least that's what I've gathered from reading up on these patterns.

Good to have you in, Nick.

I'm in the same spot. No decent white wing material. The swap is also ending during the absolute most hectic weeks of the Summer for me. I sure would like to get back into swapping flies, but I need to wait until Fall to commit.

Here's some inspiration, though!

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15707

and

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/rwulff.htm

It looks like the Grizzly Wulff uses brown bucktail too.

Somebody tied a "Virginia wulff" in a swap once, that was a nice variant I've used, lost, and only remember orange floss

Anybody know what I'm babbling about?

Somebody tied a "Virginia wulff" in a swap once, that was a nice variant I've used, lost, and only remember orange floss

Anybody know what I'm babbling about?

I think I saw that mentioned in a swap from a few years ago. Gonna have to dig and see what it is. So many of these damn things.

Edit: Found it, I think.

From netabrookie...

Vicrider, I settled on the fly that I have been working on and have been hesitant to mention to anyone until now. I am going with my Virginia Wulff. I really love all of the Wulff style flies and hope that I am worthy of adding one to the list. To my south I have the Carolina and to my West I have the Tennessee so why not have a Virginia version. I first tied these a few years ago but worried about the name because I didn't want to disrespect the author Virginia Woolf. She was a beautiful lady that many admired but ended life in a tragic way. Also, I admired Lee Wulff very much and I can only hope that he would approve of my addition. The fly is tied with deer body wings, moose body tail, peacock herl, orange floss and Brown hackle. The flies that I am sending use light orange Uni-floss but I have tied them with regular orange, florescent orange and burnt orange and they all catch trout. So, if no one has a problem with my addition to the Wulff family I will continue full steam ahead.

Thanks and Take Care,

Tony

Sound familiar?

I think I'll hold off on running this one. Maybe we'll pick it back up in the fall. Thanks for the interest!

Yeah that was the one I was thinking of, couldn't remember the specifics or who tied it thanks