Fly Tying
MuskyFlyGuy

Musky Fly Swap 2016

The fastest growing segment of musky fishing is with a flyrod. People are fishing for and catching fish of a size that we could not have imagined 30 years ago. Hopefully everyone has had a chance to see the 57" musky caught on Mille Lacs by Robert Hawkins the fall. There has been a major evolution in the flies that go along with the improvements in the equipment.

I have been so impressed with the problem-solving ability and the technical/artistic skills of participants on the board. I would like to extend the conversation about muskies and host a swap that would attract innovative tiers to share their skills and their vision for the future.

The swap will target the biggest of these fish, those that are 40+ inches and 20+ pounds and will offer several options to the swappers. All flies (6 per option you select) must be tied on hooks 4/0 or larger and are due no later than March 1, 2016. They need to be toe tagged and return postage must be included. Choose either or both options.

Option A - Single hook fly - hook size 4/0 or larger and fly must be a minimum of 7 inches long

​SM - Musky Fly Guy - red horse sucker streamer - 5/0 - received
1. Crackleback - T-Bone - 6/0 - received
2. ihang10 - HangTime variation - received
3.WVUonthefly - Bufford - 5/0 - received
4. Jfinn - Jerad's Outlaw - received
5. Fish for Life - flashabou streamer - 5/0 - received
6. add 147 - Star Burst - 6/0 - received
Option A is full

Option B - Articulated fly - hook size 4/0 or larger and fly must be a minimum of 11 inches long

​SM - Musky Fly Guy - fire tiger streamer - 5/0&5/0 - received
1. Crackleback - T-Bone - 6/0&4/0 - received
2. WVUontheFly - Delivery Man - 5/0&3/0 - received
3. add 147 - the Skunk - 6/0&3/0 - received
4. Josephcsylvia - Firetiger Bucktail Diver - 6/0&4/0 - received
5. FishforLife - prototype - 5/0&5/0 - received
6. EasternFly - received

Option B is full

Sign up by posting an "I'm in" and specify Option A, Option B, or both. I will verify with a confirming email. Remember to send them in a container that will hold flies of that size. If all flies are submitted early, I will sort and get them back right away. This will help us with our personal tying and planning for next year. If you have any questions, please send me an email. I am looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts! Have fun and help us move musky fishing with flies forward.

Tom

I'm in for part A. I'm tying a fly simalir to one the local fly shop here in Milwaukee has called the Jared's outlaw.

Im in! Can i get back to you with what im going to tye. Not sure at the moment, want to scan through the boxes first to determine what im going to tye.

Edit: Im defiantly in for A. Might be in for both if i can find the right fly.

Welcome to Option A

Crackleback

ihang10

WVUontheFly

jfinn

FishforLife

add 147

remember to send fly name and hook size at your convenience

Option A is full

Welcome to Option B

Crackleback

WVUontheFly

add 147

Josephcsylvia

Option B has two remaining openings, but Eastern Fly might take one of them

The fly im going to tie doesnt have a name I know of. if I Had to give it a name it would be a firetiger bucktail diver. But I will be tying it on a 6/0 up front and a 4/0 trailing hook

Ive decided to go B as well if that's alright

A fly is going to be on a 5/0, 6/0 if i can find the right hook at the fly shop. Flashabou streamer

B is just a creation i have made so it doesn't really have a name. I just tyed the prototype up and it looks awesome in the water, lots of movement. It will be tyed on 2 5/0 hooks with a shank between them.

Welcome to Option B

Crackleback

WVUontheFly

add 147

Josephcsylvia

Option B has two remaining openings, but Eastern Fly might take one of them

Yes as stated before I want in. Is 6 the correct number for me?

Kevin