Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

FTF Fly Pattern - tidewaterfly - Clouser Half and Half Variant

It's definitely a variant. Looks like it will probably catch fish, but I am not sure I "like" it. Just looks too ... weird?

Mike, it was my submission for the recent Clouser/Half & Half Variant Swap . The idea was to use materials that are not commonly used for Clousers. I like the rabbit strips for bass flies & for tails on hair jigs so that's why I used it. The rest is simply materials I already had on hand and something other than bucktail.

I am not panning it ... just not my "cup of tea". I didn't know it was from the swap ... that's cool info.

Thanks.

This is an interesting combo for me for the reason that for many years I used clouser minnows almost exclusively for saltwater (mostly due to my limited tying abilities), but now I hardly ever tie on a clouser. My "go to" baitfish flies now have rabbit strips and shaped wool heads. I know not everyone likes chucking rabbit fur around but it sure catches. I'm sure this fly will too.

Thanks for posting Tidewater

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it!

Mud, I'm a big fan of using rabbit strips. Since I'm primarily fishing in brackish tidal water, flies tied with rabbit work well for not only LM bass, but also for Striped bass. I've caught plenty of other fish with them as well. They do get heavier than flies tied with other materials, but most times I'm not casting them very far & I'm using at least an 8 wt rod. IMO, the benefits far out weigh the heavier nature of wet rabbit strips.

I also still tie & use bucktail versions of Clouser Minnows, but I very much like these alternative materials too. If you read the additional info I posted for the pattern recipe, my thought here was a fly that might mimic several prey species, including crayfish, Blue Crabs, or various bait fishes so it should be versatile. I used the jig hook because the waters I'm fishing are quite shallow, I wanted a decent size & the barbell eyes I used are rather light. The combination still keeps the fly inverted & it shouldn't be digging into the bottom mud as readily as a heavier weighted fly. Of course the Fox & Finn Raccoon tail materials being quite soft will have an action similar to the rabbit hair too, so it should have a lot of movement to it, even if it's allowed to rest on the bottom. At least that was my thought for tying this fly in the manner I did. smile.png

Tidewaterfly great use of natural material, a real bottom dweller.

I can see crawfish, blue crab, leach, & eel. Contrasting material olive over cream, moving on it's own, hook up.......Dynamite combo Sir!