Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
islander727

Short Shank Hooks?

Hey, I was wondering if you guys could recommend some short shank hooks. I've picked up some Mustad C47SDs, but I'm not a mustad fan.

This is what I'm tying. It works. I just don't like the extra shank protuding...

IMG_20150705_124120.jpg

Thanks!

From what I understand, that extra shank in front is for tooth filled mouths ... and added "layer" of protection from a bite off.

I see short shank hooks at Walmart, BPS and Academy Sports. They seem to be easier to find than long shank hooks, in my experience.

If you want a shorter shank, yet strong hook check some of the various live bait hooks. All the major brands make them in one form or another.

Gamakatsu makes some really good ones that work well for tying. Only thing you have to watch is the wire diameter on some is rather stout, which means they'll be harder to get a good hook set unless you use stout tackle & heavier leaders & tippets. Fortunately, Gamakatsu makes them in various wire diameters.

I know you said you're not a fan of Mustad, but they actually make some good ones too. Check their Big Gun series, and their 9175UPBLN hook. wink.png

That reminds me I need t order more C47's myself. Never had a problem with them. Caught my biggest red (42") on a C68 size 2. I also use Gamakatsu SC15, it's a light wire like C47. Owner Flyliner is a also a great one and a little heavier like C68.

I tie all my baitfish imitations on the above hooks. Depending on the size and or how fast or slow dictates which hook I'll use.

Saltybum, I like the Owner Flyliner hooks too. I don't have issue with any of the Mustad hooks either. I still have some of the older 3407 & 34007 in several sizes that I'll tie on.

Here's a list of hooks that may fill the need for shorter shanks.

Owner Flyliner

Owner Gorilla or Gorilla Light

Owner AKI (not the twist version)

Owner Mosquito

Gamakatsu Live Bait, available in standard, heavy duty & light wire.

Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap

Mustad Big Gun, 10829NP-BN / 10829BLN, 10841NP-BN, 10848NP-BN

Live Bait, 9175UPBLN

VMC Live Bait 9260

VMC Pinhead 7120

Guest rich mc

I use a short shank gamakatsu glo bug hook on a 3 inch leech pattern. I wish they had them larger than size 2 rich mc

Rich, the hooks I posted are not generally considered fly hooks. although many use them as such. All except the Owner Mosquito & Gamakatsu Finesse Wide gap are popular for saltwater use, and both of them I've used in brackish water without issue. On another site, some guys have said they've used both for saltwater.

I too have tied some small streamer patterns on the short shank egg or glow bug hooks, and they're certainly another alternative, but as you say they're not generally available in larger sizes suited for most saltwater sized streamers. I like them for tying some baitfish patterns for perch & Crappies in a size 4, but are not the only type hooks I'll use for that purpose.

Tidewater, I use a lot of Mosquito hooks in the salt and love them. I use them for most of my EP style flies and craft fur minnows. These are both tied on a Mosquito and have caught all sorts of fish on the flats.

post-18514-0-07862200-1436165535_thumb.jpg

post-18514-0-93144800-1436165591_thumb.jpg

Tidewater, I use a lot of Mosquito hooks in the salt and love them. I use them for most of my EP style flies and craft fur minnows. These are both tied on a Mosquito and have caught all sorts of fish on the flats.

Agn54, nice patterns! I'm going to have to try & tie more of those type flies. I'm moving to SC, will be 5 minutes from Lake Marion & only an hour from the coast so I'm sure it's going to be worth having more of them in my fly boxes.

Owner has some other hooks I really like as well. Costly, but worth it! Actually, if compared to brands like Tiemco, they're about the same price, so right inline with better fly hooks. smile.png

agn54 thanks for reminding me about the Mosquito hooks. Last week at a fly club meeting a local here who has caught well over a 1000 ditch and canal tarpon said his hookup ratio increased dramatically when he switched to them. He ties all sizes for fish from a few inches up to maybe 20 lbs. plus in the back water areas.

The rest of your list is good reference too.

I am a fan of the Daiichi 3111 black ace saltwater hooks. I tie a lot of my musky flies on them. Also the owner mosquito hooks are what I tie a lot of my smallmouth and carp flies on.

Hey! Question for you guys familiar with the Owner Mosquito hooks.

I just got my order and discovered they are offset. Do you straighten or use as is?

I straighten any hook I get that's offset. I think offset hooks would tend to increase chances of spinning on the retrieve.

I use the Mosquito hooks as is. That offset is only slight, and I've yet to have any issue.

Mike, that's really not true. I've used other hooks that had offset points & never had one spin as a result. But, I won't say they can't spin.

It's likely that it would depend on how it's dressed. The only issue I've ever had with offset hooks is they tend to catch debris more readily than inline hooks, and are not well suited for situations where they need to have snag guards. I prefer inline hooks for tying flies, but will use hooks that have an offset.

Eagle Claw makes a long shank hook that I like for Crease flies & sometimes poppers. It's their 066 model, which is made in both a tinned & a stainless version for salt use.

They have an offset point and for topwater I've yet to see any problem. In fact, it often seems I get better hookups because of that offset. I've never had one of them spin either.

Many years ago when I was tying commercially, Capt Jeffrey Cardenas one of my guide clients I tied flies for went & fished in the Bahamas & the guide he fished with there tied flies on inline hooks & bent them so they had an offset.

Jeff said it resulted in better hook-ups on Bonefish, and only occasionally snagged on vegetation and the flies still appeared to ride the same as they might without the offset. At least they rode well enough to fool Bonefish.

Besides, I think if you try to bend those Mosquito hooks & straighten them, they'll tend to break.