Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MyFly

UV Glue

helllo!

I am thinking about buying a new UV glue. Does any of you know what kind of glue is the best glue for realistic flies? which one do you use? I am thinking about this

http://www.troutline.ro/deer-creek-uv-pro-kit.html

and this one

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/bug-bond-kit-uv-torch-and-original-20ml.html

Does any of you have the experience of using any of this two glues? which one is better? where do you buy your UV glue?

Greetings from smal country Slovenia..

I have not tried either myself.

I have tried Clear Cure Goo and it had a residual tackiness that had to removed with alcohol. It did not cure hard, and it had to be coated with head cement.

From what I have read on other BBS, I'd avoid Bug Bond. It does not completely cure with the light they provide.

I understand that Deer Creek cures hard but they use a laser and lasers tend to "cook" some resins so that it turn a tan color.

Of the two choices I would try the Deer Creek and hope the laser does not cook it. Put some on a white piece of paper and laser it to see how long it takes to cure and if it discolors.

Deer Creek is the best. It is the only one that dries tack free. The laser dose not turn the resin tan, I've used the laser for the past 6 months with no issues.

carlp

i have tried most of them out on the market and in my experience they all appear to dry with a tackiness to the them (regardless of what is printed on the bottles label and with using the light that came in the kit, laser or otherwise).

i dont know what i do wrong. i apply the resin in a thin coat and then hit it with the light. most of the time its for a minute or so. good batteries in the light.

anyway, the sun it the ultimate light source

do a preliminary cure with the light and then put the fly in the sun for about 1/2 hour for a hard and tackless finish. i'm not quite sure why tyers say it takes to long to cure. if you need flies right away then dont use the resins.

I have been using Clear Cure Goo since Christmas as it was the only option I had locally, without ordering from online and I like it. I hear good stuff about Deer Creek also a few things about Bug Bond I have used neither so I can't attest to them

I use Loon UV Knot Sense.

Contrary to what they say, any blue light cures it.
I even have a blue key chain light from the dollar tree store that works.
I like the stuff.

I just received my clear cure goo fleck.... Ive read that most do have a tackiness to them and you have to coat them... the main reason im posting is I found a UV light much cheaper and stronger then the loon mini... do a google search for led wholesalers .... I paided like 795 for this light I just recieved.... 400nM which is stronger then loons.... plus its very nicely made... aluminum that takes three AAA batteries...

Just my 2 cents,

Joepm

I have an obvious bias, but for the record Deer Creek dries Tack Free without a doubt. I dont know about Bug Bond as I haven't used it.

For a US based seller of Deer Creek, check out www.bearsden.com.